Ancestry births - county mistranscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry births - county mistranscription

According to the Ancestry birth 1916 -2005 transcriptions, I am a southerner eek:
    I was born in Bridlington, East Yorkshire and from 1937 to 1974, this was part of the Buckrose registration district.
    Initially this was volume 9d, but then it changed to became 2a.

Prior to that, 2a was Kent & Surrey.
    So according to Ancestry, my birth was registered in the Buckrose reg district, but in the county of Kent & Surrey. :(
    (I think it may just be those with my birth quarter that have been attributed to the wrong county)

So, when using this Ancestry search facility, make sure you check the reg dists as well as skimming down the counties, especially if you can't find someone. They may appear in a very different part of the country from what you were expecting.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Oooo Jay, I'd be steaming!

*goes to check I'm not a southerner either* :o
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Well, I'm pleased to say I'm not a southerner ;) BUT it says my birth was registered in the district of Holderness in the registration County of Yorkshire, Northumberland/Westmorland I know my birth was registered while my Mum was in the Beverley Westwood Maternity Hospital so I would have thought I would have been registered in the Beverley district. Unless it depended on which register office the registrar was from????

*goes off to check sisters*
      Jeanette

Comment

Well, it was North (of the) Humber(land) wasn't it???? :D

My kids were born in Beverley Westwood (over 30 years ago!)

Anne

Comment

Both of mine were too, Anne

Well, I've solved it anyway. It would seem that Beverley was in the Holderness reg dist at that time as was North Ferriby where my youngest sister was born in the maternity hospital there. My other sister was born at home and is registered in the Hull district as I would have expected
          Jeanette

Comment

Seems some very "odd" districts were created around this time. Several were amalgamated bits from 2 or 3 former districts, with a new conjured up name.
            Must make serching quite difficult if you are from out of county.

I think in my case it may have been the change of volume number that added to the problem - according to Genuki the new number was 2A, but in the GRO index it was recorded as 2a (previously used for Kent & Surrey.)

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes, I remember the first time I came across 2a I thought....that's not right. But after a bit of searching discovered that it had changed. It looks a bit odd when you're used to seeing 9d

As you say, it must have just been a quirk of your quarter :D
              Jeanette

Comment

I am sorry to tell you that all Yorkshire people are southerners, (Actually I am not sorry at all, in fact I take great glee in it.)

I used to work with a young Yorkshire man and when things were quiet i would ask "What part of the south do you come from?" He would hit the ceiling and splutter "I don't come from the south, I am a northerner. I don't come from the south . . . " When he had calmed down I would ask "Yes. But what part of the south do you come from?" and off he would go again "I don't come from the south, I am a Yorkshire man."

When he left for another job he told me he knew I was winding him up but he couldn't help himself responding as he did.

I come from Ayrshire .

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                X