Gro Registration details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gro Registration details

I Want to order a Marriage certificate for William Hinchcliffe and Sarah Pitson. The marriage took place in the last quarter of 1887 Rotherham. The problem I have is that William's details are listed as Vol 9c page 850 but Sarah's details are listed as Vol 9c page 860. Does it matter that there is an error on ancestry and the information is not the same?

Sandra

I think William's GRO ref was mistranscribed by FreeBMD. If you look at the actual image it looks like it should read 860 (its better if you view it in high quality at Ancestry) although I presume you're not ordering via them as they are very expensive
    Jackie

Comment

I was just about to say the same as Jackie - both images look like 860 on FreeBMD.
      Sarah

Comment

Hi,

I actually got the information from ancestry so that I could order through GRO. I am even more confused now!! I have not renewed my ancestry subs as money is a bit tight so I can not look at the original documentation.

Sandra
        Last edited by Sherbertrose; 21-04-09, 10:52.

Comment

Ancestry take their trancriptions from FreeBMD so if it is wrong in one, it will be on the other. If you look at "View image" on Ancestry and do it in high quality you'll see that it is 860.
          Jackie

Comment

If you order directly from the GRO, it will cost you £7 if you quote the reference. Make sure you tick yes where it says "Is the General Register Office Index known?"
            Here's the link Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

(it is also possible to order through the Ancestry website, but that is a lot more expensive)
            Sarah

Comment

Sorry our last posts must have crossed.

If you want to double check for yourself, go to FreeBMD and you can view the image there
              Jackie

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I a have ordered a lot of certificates and I usually use either GRO or local registry offices so I know the system. What I wasn't sure about is whether if I chose the wrong page number it would cause a problem in receiving my certificate. However, if the consensus of opinion is that it is 860 rather than 850 I am happy to go along with this.

Sandra

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood your original comment in post 4 above, but see that you have since changed it.
                  Yes I think there would be a problem if there was an error in the reference, but as it is clearly 860 for both entries, there's no need to worry about that in this case.
                  Sarah

Comment

Working...
                  X