No announcement yet.

Luckings - Hatfield Peverel help plse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luckings - Hatfield Peverel help plse.

I always feel really nervous when I post for help - bit like taking an exam!!:D

Here goes....

My GGGM was Emily Lucking - married 28/1/1861, father George a gardener.

On 1861 she was living with her huband in Mile End Old Town and she is shown as bc 1839, pob Hilfield Essex.

On all subsequent census she lived in Limehouse and pob given as just Essex, Hatfield Peverel Essex or Maldon Essex.

Her eldest son b 1863 is shown as being born in Hatfield giving credence to a family connection there.

On 1851 I could only find one Emily that fit - spelt EMLEY age 12, b Hatfield with father George bc 1814, farm labourer, mother Elizabeth bc 1811 & three siblings. They were living at 133 Nounsley Green, Hatfield Peverel.

Found the same family on 1841 where she is shown as Amelia, they are living in Witham, Hatfield Peverel. Father George is an ag lab.

I can trace this family up to 1901 and on 1891 the father Georges trade is a Groom & Gardener but I still do not have that YES factor that this girl is my Emily. There are lots of Luckings in that area, just to complicate it more!

I have the birth cert of EMLEY but there is no trade for her father and the address is just 7 P M, Hatfield, so no help there.

Have I missed something please - have looked at this so long I can't see the wood for the trees - or the relly in the records!:D Is she mine?

PS normally I type up my query and then realise I have answered my own question - sorry, not this time! Lol!
    Lal x

Mirror,Mirror, on the wall......I am my mother after all!!

To back up your 1861 census find Class: RG9; Piece: 290; Folio: 104; Page: 19. There is a marriage for Emily Lucking and Robert Rule

Year of Registration: 1861
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Whitechapel
    County: London, Middlesex
    Volume: 1c
    Page: 597
    Last edited by JulesSmith; 21-04-09, 11:13.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

1871 seems ok Class: RG10; Piece: 549; Folio: 72; Page: 16; However she is now stated as coming from Gillingham, but I think that is a mistake. It looks to me like son Robert was born Hatfield, Herts, not Hatfield Peverel, Essex. I still think this could be the one though as husband is still a Hairdresser.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Class: RG10; Piece: 1645; Folio: 50; Page: 7; 1871 for George Lucking looks ok too.
        I think you have got this sorted, I'm not sure why you think you have a problem with Emily, unless I'm missing something too

Do you want every census checked? I'm happy to do it if you need me too.
        Last edited by JulesSmith; 21-04-09, 11:25.
        Jules

Comment

Thank you for replying Jules. I have that certificate and can follow both the Rules and the (possible) Luckings backwards and forwards but can't make them 'stick' together with confidence!! Very frustrating.:(
          Lal x

Comment

Who were the marriage witnesses? Do they help at all? Do you know when George died? Might be worth looking for a will.

Comment

Sorry for delay - partners Mother is in hospital and I have just been on the phone for ever with another new social worker.

Thanks Jules for your offer but I have the census for her after her marriage. I am not familiar with Herts or Essex but the boundaries seem to be a bit flexible to me!:D I am off to check the 1871 you mention. Thank you.

Hi Mary - thanks for your reply. I will check the witnesses when i get home. they were 'strangers' when I got the cert. Father George appears to have died between 1841 & 1851 but there are several deaths that could be him.

Jules is probably right that it is her - you know, I used to be really decisive!:D Must be an age thing!

Thank you for your help! Kind regards
              Lal x

Comment

The boundaries may be flexible but Hatfield Peverel is between Maldon and Witham (Nounsley by the way is a hamlet on the edge of Hatfield Peverel) and they are nowhere near the Hatfield in Herts. Perhaps the enumerator had never heard of the Essex village so just assumed it was the Herts one.

PS when I was growing upn the 50s, just down the road in Heybridge, we had a grocer's shop called Luckin-Smith's. Wonder if they were related?
                Last edited by JudithM; 22-04-09, 08:57.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I've certainly seen some entries where the enumerator had made assumptions.

For example: Lymington rendered as "Leamington" - tho' it was still allowed to be "Hants" I think... I'd have to go back and check.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X