Nancy Grieves' son - can you help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nancy Grieves' son - can you help ?

I have downloaded the will of John ILIFFE, the brother of my great-great-great grandmother, Rebecca (Iliffe) HOUGHTON, mostly out of curiosity, and it's free on the Victorian PRO website.

More curiosity (and its school hols, so I am not working) I am trying to trace all 40 beneficiaries. Some are easy, his sister and nieces and nephews.

The most curious and hardest to find - "to the eldest son of Nance Grieves of Durham St, Bathurst, born before her marriage"

I don't know when or where she married, her maiden name, even if Nance was a nickname for Ann or something else. I don't know if any of you can help with ideas of how to find him.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

What date was the will written?

Comment

Presuming this is NSW and not Canada () I looked through the deaths for Grieves but the only Ann varient I saw died in 1956 - didn't know if this would be too late?

Comment

Sounds vaguely familiar, and I think I have asked this before but can't remember what the answer was - are you sure it says "Nance"? Can you post up the image of the name?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'm guessing (having googled and found his sister's parents names!) that this is the man whose will you have:

NSW Deaths: 3421/1867 ILIFFE JOHN W father JOHN mother SARAH

So 1956 is far too late for his married beneficiary to have died :(:D

Comment

Kite, I hadn't realised this was a follow-on thread. Here's the old one:

which shows I was wrong about that death and this will was 1903.

Comment

Sorry I did not remember I had asked this before.

John Iliffe was born in 1832 in Monks Kirby War and died 1903 in Melbourne Victoria. The image says Nance and Nancy - I think it is just a copy made by the solicitors clerk for probate, not the original will. (she got a bequest as well)

I looked at the Deceased Estate file at State Records, I was hoping there might be some record of the beneficiaries, but it was only a list of his assets and their values.

Thanks Merry for looking again. I've had another think about it and feel that I need to go to the State Libary and look at Electoral Rolls (for Mr Grieves in Bathurst)

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
              X