Looking to prune a branch off my tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to prune a branch off my tree

I've seen tons of topics on google over the years asking for this, and rarely a straight answer...

I have a large tree (80,000 people). That's unwieldy large, and there's enough solid research going on on other lines that I'd just like to lob them off. There seems to be no real way to do this. Most programs let you export the people you like, but that's impossible with my numbers. Most programs let you delete all the descendants of _______, but again that doesn't seem to fit the bill. I just want to pick a person, and say "delete everyone whose connection to the base of the tree only comes through this person." Is there any software that can do that? Hopefully something open-source or free?

Colin Jensen
    colinandbethany.com

80,000 people!

Sorry I don't know the answer regarding software I am just amazed at the numbers.

Comment

With Family Historian you can make a diagram of any part of the tree and then delete the ones you don't want. You can delete them from the diagram only OR you can delete them completely from the data (with lots of suitable warnings!)

It is much easier doing from a diagram base because you can 'see' more easily which ones you are removing and why.

Anne

Comment

All that and a free 30 day fully functional trial! I should be able to get my job done within 30 days... Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcolj View Post
          All that and a free 30 day fully functional trial! I should be able to get my job done within 30 days... Thank you.
          Can I ask you how you managed to get 80,000 people on a family history tree and also research them all.

I hope that didn't take you 30 days too.

Comment

Maggie they do say that we are all related, but I must admit I to, am gobsmacked, 80,000 is an awful lot of people, maybe he means 8.000 although that a lot to...lol...1700 makes me look like a total beginner lol...:D...Lilly

Comment

The tool you need in FH is Split Tree Helper. See
              Split Tree Helper [Knowledge Base Wiki]
              for more infomation on using it.
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                Maggie they do say that we are all related, but I must admit I to, am gobsmacked, 80,000 is an awful lot of people, maybe he means 8.000 although that a lot to...lol...1700 makes me look like a total beginner lol...:D...Lilly
                I think it must have been a wind up :D

Nobody but nobody has 8,000 people on their tree let alone 80,000.

If they have I bet they're related to me or even you and especially OC...

Last edited by Guest; 25-04-09, 19:42.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                  I think it must have been a wind up :D

Nobody but nobody has 8,000 people on their tree let alone 80,000.

If they have I bet they're related to me or even you and especially OC...

I have just over 13,000 in my tree!!!

This is mine and my OH's direct line, starting with my son. As my OH and I are 1st cousins one direct line is duplicated, so there could have been more!!!!

A lot has come from cousins who have added lots of branches to the tree.

I am still going through it now checking to make sure it is correct!!!
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Comment

If you traced your direct line back and as a pure pedigree tree with no ommissions it soon reaches 1000+ names, adding in every blood rellie soon makes that 1000+ figure look like a drop in the ocean in most trees as the number of folks who share a blood connection is far larger.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes, it's 80,000. And all real, and all researched by some pretty sound people... My side's only 2% of it--but my wife's from one of those families where she casually knows her 3rd cousins, etc. They're just like that, and this is the proof...

Comment

In answer to the original question it's unlikely there is a programe that would fit the bill and do exactly as you need.

As you say there are assorted ways via descendant, pedigree etc but i doubt there is any programme that allows you to produce a tree (or exclude people from a tree) based purely on kinship to a specific person which is probably what you are aiming to do.

Even the pedigree/descendant/ancestor charts have limitations as they include/exclude certain indviduals and may not match your requirements. Stripping out the names from an all in one tree or list of all the names is possible but once a file gets beyond a few hundred it becomes more difficult and with a tree of several thousand names it is easy to include or exclude the wrong names.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                          X