Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John George Donnelly, Post Master General

Hello,

Has anyone any idea how I can find out more about thiis man.

He was born in 1882 in Gateshead, the son of Andrew Donnelly and Jane Wooldrige.

Family history tells that he was the Post Master General of Newcastle on Tyne when he died in about 1930. His funeral was apparently a rather grand affair but I cannot find any reference to him on the internet.

Can anyone help?

Hartist

It seems he was born in 1881, not 1882, since his birth registration is Oct-Dec 1881 Gateshead, if that helps any?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There are two possible marriages in Gateshead, one Apr-Jun 1910 (to either Jannette Davison or Elizabeth M A Hindhaugh, most likely the former) and one Apr-Jun 1933 to Gwendoline Case.
      Last edited by KiteRunner; 20-04-09, 16:30.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Hartist View Post
        Family history tells that he was the Post Master General of Newcastle on Tyne when he died in about 1930.
        You've got his job title a bit mangled. I'd guess he was Head Postmaster of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The PMG was a minister of the Crown (an MP). PMGs you might have heard of were Ernest Marples, Anthony Wedgwood Benn and John Stonehouse.

He might possibly have got a mention in the London Gazette, but much more likely in the Post Office Gazette, which as far as I know isn't online.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You might try the local newspaper as they would have most likely reported a funeral of such an important person in the town.
          Margaret

Comment

The Royal Mail Archive hold records for post masters here

What did your relatives do? — The British Postal Museum and Archive

Unfortunately its not an online archive and I'm not sure if they do look ups but I'm sure you could find out!
            Sue

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for the various pieces of info and the ideas.

I didn't realise that he was probably Head Postmaster, it just shows that you shouldn't always listen to family tales!

Hartist

Comment

Hi Kiterunner

I have just checked the 1911 census and he is married to Janette, thanks to you I have her maiden name now.

Thankyou

Hartist

Comment

Hi Hartist,

John George Donnelly was my grandfather. I can tell you that he wasn't Head Postmaster of Newcastle (still less Postmaster General). What is your interest in him?

David

Comment

Hi David, sorry I haven't been on here for a long time. John George Donnelly was the brother of Andrew Donnelly born 1889, Andrew was my husband's great grandfather on his mothers side.

Comment

Hi Hartist, John George Donnelly was in charge of the Newcastle-upon-Tyne sorting office, but was not more senior than that. His daughter, my mother, is still alive. KiteRunner is correct to say that his wife's name was Jannette Davison (I knew her). My mother says she didn't know her Uncle Andrew. By the way, I think this means your husband is my second cousin once removed.

If you'd like more info I can try to find out.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X