No announcement yet.

Given that is wasn't until 1927........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given that is wasn't until 1927........

that it wasn't compulsory to register births (or so I was told), would it be worth searching for a stillbirth?

I am having trouble accessing the pages on FMP just now.:(
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

I think you mean Stillbirths weren't registered until 1927? It has been compulsory to register all live births since 1875. (In fact it was compulsory before that, but it was the duty of the Registrar, not the parents).

Some stillbirths will be recorded in parish burial registers but otherwise it is a closed book I'm afraid.

OC

Comment

Thats right OC, I managed to get the pages up on GR......cant find her. So Im presuming she wasnt registered.
      Annoying really as the birth year is just a guesstimate.
      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Jen, if it was a stillbirth then it would be registered on the stillbirths register which is not available online.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Jen

not sure what you are looking for, but the stillbirths register is closed.
          You can only apply for a stillbirth certificate if you are a parent of the stillborn child, or a sibling whose parents are dead.

Info here: Order a stillbirth certificate : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Jen

not sure what you are looking for, but the stillbirths register is closed.
            You can only apply for a stillbirth certificate if you are a parent of the stillborn child, or a sibling whose parents are dead.

Info here: Order a stillbirth certificate : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights
            Not so this is another piece of unlawful office policy.

Legally anyone in the world may apply for any stillbirth certificate.
            If the applicant is anyone other than the parents or sibling of the still-born then the decision to provide the certificate has to be made on an individual basis by the Registrar General.
            The 1953 Act puts it this way
            Searches and Certificates

30.-(1) The Registrar General shall cause indexes of all certified copies of entries in registers sent to him under this Act or under any enactment repealed by this Act to be made and kept in the General Register Office.
            (2) Any person shall be entitled to search the said indexes at any time when the General Register Office is open for that purpose, and to have a certified copy of any entry in the said certified copies, on payment to the Registrar General or to such other person on his behalf of the following fees respectively, that is to say-
            (a) for every general search the sum of thirty shillings ;
            (b) for every particular search, the sum of one shilling and sixpence ; and
            (c) for every certified copy, the sum of three shillings and ninepence.
            (3) The foregoing provisions of this section shall not apply to certified copies of entries in registers of still-births, but the Registrar General may, if he sees fit in any particular case and on payment of as aforesaid of the appropriate fee aforesaid, cause a search to be made for, and allow any person to have a certified copy of any entry in any such certified copies or in any filled register of still-births which has been forwarded to him.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
            X