Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I just thought of a brilliant idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I just thought of a brilliant idea?

Say you're looking for info on someone or something in the 1900s onward, you know the area and a few details but not much. A bit like nigele2's problem about the pub where they know who and when and possibly where but not the name of the pub.

What about googling for all the old people's homes in the area and writing to them. Ask the owners to pass the letter round to their residents (containing as much info you know and clearly stating what you're after). I'm sure the elderly people would love a challenge in remembering stuff from the past. It would keep their minds active, stimulate conversation, give them something to do and may produce some results for us.

Am I mad or is this an interesting idea?
    Hail Spode!

Actually a brilliant idea......lol

I was helping out in an old people's home and you'd be surprised the family history some of the dementia folk remember like yesterday.

You do have to play along with being their mother, sister, baby, etc....but that's wasn't a problem.

So I think a letter may work....as long as you can get it as far as the right people.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
      ...as long as you can get it as far as the right people.
      This may be the problem with your idea. Also if you live in the area you could offer to go in in person and talk to the oldies. I'm sure they'd enjoy talking to you.
      Kit

Comment

I expect this would work in some communities, though in a lot of places it's hard to find older people who have lived their lives in the same area. My mum lives in a flat in a block for the over 60's. We were only saying yesterday that no one she knows there (83 flats) is "from" Bournemouth originally.

Comment

I used to work in a lot of old peoples homes and many would be very interested, but! you would have to go in with your idea and also maybe have afternoons with the residents. But good idea that man....

Comment

It's just a shame you cant suck all the information out of their heads and put it into a database.

Perhaps this is the start of a new concept, FTF could start up a scheme that the homes could sign up to if they were willing to participate. Over time, there'd be a home in every part of the country on the database (with any luck). We'd then have an army of oldies helping us in our research.
            Hail Spode!

Comment

If you decide to contact a Care Home, it would probably be best to address your letter to the Activities Co-Ordinator and enquire if they do Remeniscence Sessions. In fact they may be happy for you to come in and lead something like that yourself, bringing photos etc. to help spark memories.

Comment

You may find you may need CRB clearance. There are various "befriending" organisations who take vulnerable/elderly adults under their wing, so that could be a way in.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X