Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Riddiford, what was he up to?!

- Ancestry.co.uk

This is him in 1851. (I did post this earlier to confirm I was on the right track!)

And this is him with new wife in 1861

- Ancestry.co.uk

This looks like first wife's death
    Ann Riddiford
    1856; Oct-Nov-Dec
    Dursley;
    Gloucestershire, Wiltshire
    Vol: 6a Page: 108

And this looks like the second marriage
    Harriet Compton 1853 Gloucestershire *****
    Edwin Riddiford 1853 Gloucestershire ******
    Ellen Surman 1853 Gloucestershire
    William Yeend 1853

So either he married before Ann died or I've got the wrong death or marriage

Can anyone see any other possible deaths or marriages?

If not do I need to order both certs to try and establish what has happened or will one be enough?;)
    Clare

Personally, I'd order both!

OC

Comment

Have you had a look to see which brides/grooms were together in 1861 - or, rather, whether you can match William and Ellen OK to rule out a William-Harriet match?

Have you tried to see what historical records are available for the Gloucestershire Police? That route has been very fruitful for me: City of London, Surrey, and Hampshire. You may get a description. You should get info about the career (including any misdemeanours - which were found out, anyway!).

As for your initial question. It certainly looks iffy. Divorce was expensive (it required an Act of Parliament), so many people just separated and adopted new relationships - with or without formal marriage.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry :o

Just found this by googling:
        Clive Emsley and Ian Bridgeman have performed a great service in bringing out this comprehensive guide to the police archives of England and Wales, and revealing the wide range that these cover. Given the ravages of time, police mergers, weeders and weevils, coverage is necessarily uneven so that, for example, nothing survives in the Gloucester police archives which dates from before 1929 whereas Cambridge has records going back to 1822.
        Forward by the Patron of the Police History Society

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Boo! What a shame has thought that was a good line to follow up.:(

Will finish my glass of wine and order the certs I think;)
          Clare

Comment

Have checked and William Yeend (what a great name!!) is married to Ellen in 1861 with plenty of children.

What makes me laugh is he is the Police Superintendent surely he should be behaving in a rather more respectable manner;)

Altho his son, also in the police, appears to desert his wife and high tail off to Canada so perhaps this runs in the family!
            Clare

Comment

Clare

A twiglet in my family was a police inspector. His wife ran a pub and his 13 year old niece was employed there as a servant.

13 year old niece produces a baby....wife dies, the 44 year old police inspector married the 14 year old niece and they had umpty more children. By 1881 he is a publican again and in his will he leaves a wadge to "my natural son John by my wife Ann". (The niece)

OOOH, the scandal!

OC

Comment

Ohh he's going on my list for Probate look ups at the weekend then!

What a tangled web they weave!:D
                Clare

Comment

The marriage of Edwin Riddiford (of Cirencester) to Harriet Compton (of Gloucester) is reported in The Bristol Mercury, Saturday, October 29, 1853.

Comment

...........and the death of Ann Riddiford is also reported, but she was the wife of Mr James Riddiford of Wootton-under-Edge. (She was 51 and the date of death was Nov 17th.) The edition was The Bristol Mercury, Saturday, November 22, 1856.

Comment

There is a death for Ann Rediford in Gloster Q/E Sep 1852 which may be your Ann
                      Jackie

Comment

Marriage of Edwin

The Bristol Mercury October 29th 1853
                        Mr Edwin Riddiford of Cirencester to Miss Harriet Compton of Gloucester

Comment

according to a report in the same paper dated 1843 he was Sergeant Edwin Riddiford of Thornbury

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            ...........and the death of Ann Riddiford is also reported, but she was the wife of Mr James Riddiford of Wootton-under-Edge.
                            Wotton-under-Edge has one O (well 2 if you are being picky) and is in Dursley registration district.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

and is in Dursley registration district
                              and it needed to be to fit with the deah reg found! It was probably me, rather than the paper, who wrote "Wootton".

Comment

Edward and wives

have you seen the write up about Edwin and his 3 wives on the Thornbury village website ? or possably 4
                                Last edited by quoy; 20-04-09, 19:04. Reason: one more wife

Comment

Thank you all very very much! *Goes off to google to find the article*
                                  Clare

Comment

Could Edwins wife Anns death be registered in her maiden name
                                    Ann White Dec Qua 1852 Thornbury

Comment

http://www.familytreeforum.com/images/smilies/biggrin9gp.gif

I guess that is a possibility.

I have been in touch with the website owner of the article and have got contact details from him for another Riddiford researcher so thank you very much!
                                      Clare

Comment

More about Edwin

I think the death for wife Ann is the one for Ann Rediford rather than Ann White. The family were living in Barton St Michael (ie Gloucester) at that time.

Edwin married a third time: Ann Susanna Hickman (1873 1Q Cheltenham 6a 632). She married William Marshall (1879 4Q Gloucester 6a 499) after Edwin died in 1876 and lived on till 1916.

The children of Edwin and (first) Ann were a strange bunch, flip-flopping between law enforcement and law-breaking. Aaron worked as a police office rising to be a Superintendent at one time. As Clare records he did a runner to Canada after embezzling money from Birmingham Council. Thomas, his younger brother, shadowed Aaron's career as a police officer and even followed him to Birmingham. He also seems to have taken money from the city coffers too, only three years earlier - he was charged with theft. He reappears in Aberdare in 1881 as a tailor and passes on the following year.

Meanwhile, sister Emma was domestic servant and a kleptomaniac. She kept stealing from her employer. Charges were brought for 22 Mar 1854, 21 Aug 1854, 25 Jun 1855, 9 Nov 1856.

Another brother, Nigel at the age of 10, was charged with breaking and entering and theft of 1/6d and 9d in copper (5/29 Mar 1856). He was acquitted.

Other brothers, John Raymond and James, were also a police officers, but appear to have had an exemplary records, though both died in their 30s.

There were 12 children altogether. Three, Ann, Edwin and Arthur Walter disappear from the public record at an early stage, as does Nigel. They may have emigrated or be recorded under different names/spellings.

Comment

Working...
                                        X