Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census Occupation ??

I have on the 1911 census a man who has for occupation
    Printers Material manufacturer own invention Gnage Pins used for small printing machines for laying ???

any ideas what they are ???

and by his daughters name it says Own invention would you say she had invented the pins???or does that mean she worked for her dad ????
    If anybody can look its Walter Tyler born 1873 St Lukes
    RG14PN 1374 RG78 PN48 RD16 SD3 ED11 SN442
    Thanks

Could "Gnage" be a misinterpretation of "Guage" - for "Gauge"? i.e. for some kind of measuring.

And printing requires you to "lay out" your material appropriately.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ah good thinking Christine thanks wonder if he made much money ??? mmmmm

Comment

Printers Material manufacturer own invention Gnage Pins used for small printing machines for laying ???
        Might be worth investigating Patents Office material?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine and dont worry I wont change

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            and by his daughters name it says Own invention would you say she had invented the pins???or does that mean she worked for her dad ????
            If anybody can look its Walter Tyler born 1873 St Lukes
            RG14PN 1374 RG78 PN48 RD16 SD3 ED11 SN442
            Thanks

Val, we would have to pay to view it if it's the 1911, don't forget!
            Without seeing the page my guess is that if it does say "own invention" by the daughter's name then it means the father but it didn't fit in the space on his line? Or could it say something else?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have the record for somebody to look at, is that allowed ??? not on here of course would have to email them it
              There is quite a gap between the fathers and the daughters names so plenty of room to put that somewhere else I would say.

Comment

Can you post up the image of just the bit that says "own invention", maybe?
                KiteRunner

Comment

is that allowed ??? if so cant do it tonight as the printer is in the Garage but will do it tomorrow thanks

Comment

Yes, it's allowed, Val.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                    X