Queen Mary cruise in the 1930s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen Mary cruise in the 1930s

My great grandmother, Frances Maud Packham (born 1885), and great aunt, Winfred Packham (born 1905) went on a cruise on the Queen Mary sometime between it's launch in 1936 and WW2.

They were said to have brought back some castanets from their travels!

I've found the Queen Mary on Wikipedia and it sailed from Southampton to New York

I can't find them on the passenger lists on FMP.

Can anyone suggest where I can look further please. I'm wondering if they perhaps stopped at Madeira on the way? It would be interesting to know how much their tickets cost them too!

Have you tried contacting Cunard? I'm sure they have historical records showing ports of call and fares.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Cunard may be best to contact but failing that there lists available through TNA at Kew though these seem to be incoming lists.

Or you could try the following web site which is pay to access but have lists of QM on their list though may not have what you want.

British

Looking at the site again, it is not totally clear whether it is just the maiden voyage of 1936 or other voyages as well so it may be of little use to you.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 19-04-09, 11:20.

Comment

The Southampton to New York voyage is the transatlantic crossing in which there is no stopovers, unless it was part of the World cruise.
        I did this voyage myself last year on the Queen Mary 2 - not the world cruise unfortunately.

Jewels

Comment

Have you looked at the Ellis Island website?

Comment

My brother worked on the Queen Mary for a while.
            I think they called into Cherbourg on their way to New York from Southampton.

Perhaps your relatives travelled just part of her voyage ?

Comment

Many thanks for that, I'll take a look at the websites mentioned

Comment

As has been said, in those days it wouldn't be a cruise but a regular sailing. Assuming they came back, there should be something on the Ancestry inward passenger records. As late as the early 1960s I sailed from Liverpool to and from Montreal by Canadian Pacific. Expensive for my parents but much cheaper than flying.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John. That's what still puzzles me. I'm told that it was the Queen Mary, but then again perhaps it wasn't...

Comment

Working...
                  X