Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Jane after 1871

UPDATE re certificate in later posting.

Jane was baptised in Madley, Herefordshire in 1807 and married William PEAK in Hope Mansell, Herefordshire in 1834.
    This village is right on the border with Gloucestershire, on the edge of the Forest of Dean.
    In 1857 Jane married William LILLEY and is seen as surname LILLY in 1861.
    In 1871 she is a widow with birthplace shown as Maddy and living in East Dean, Gloucestershire.

I would like to buy her death certificate and have seen a Jane LILEY,77, reg in 1885 in Ross district.

Can anyone please see that 77 years old Jane in 1881, or find another match for my Jane.?
    Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 05-05-09, 12:21.

I've had a look Gwyn but I can't see her
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Thank you for looking Jeanette.

Her baptism was bad enough to pin down as a JONES, her maiden name, but her death is proving to be just as bad.

Thank you for trying.

Comment

Have you tried this site ?

Family History Research - Herefordshire Council - Cached

Comment

Thank you for the link Alan. There's plenty to browse there.

Comment

In 1879 there's a marriage between a Thomas Powell and Jane Jones in Hereford (FreeBMD)

First, I searched on 1881 census for Jane born in Madley, Herefordshire (1804 +- 5 yrs)

RG 11/2588/100/page 20

Haven't checked 1871 census yet ...

Just checked 1871 ... can't see a Thomas Powell with wife Jane the right age

Don't know if she would have used her maiden name to remarry at that time
            Last edited by Rachel Scand; 19-04-09, 14:58.
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for helping Rachel.

The 1861 census is definitely my Jane, as there are 3 generations in the household, the youngest being Emma Bertha DAVIS, my mother's grandmother, who played a large part in Mum's early life.

I had a look too on IGI and noted another marriage of a Jane JONES to Thomas POWELL....in the same church where my Jane married William PEAK in 1834.

Far too many JONES in such a small community........

Comment

If she'd used her maiden name, Jones (and not Lilley) when she married Thomas Powell then it could be her.

The Jane, wife of Thomas Powell was born c 1804 in Madley and I can not see a Jane Powell of that age on the previous census.
                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Well the death certificate for Jane LILEY has arrived, but I'm still unsure if she is 'mine'.

She died 29 March 1885 at Pontshill, Weston under Penyard, Hereford(shire) in Ross sub district.
                  She was 77 'widow of William Liley a farm laborer'

My Jane's husband had been William ( both of them !) and she was shown as a widow in 1871
                  Not yet found my Jane in 1881.

Comment

Working...
                  X