Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did a plaster miller do?

Any ideas?

Occ of a man born 1848 and died 1884, from Staffs.

There's a photo of a plaster mill, for crushing stone to make plaster on the Tutbury Museum site. Presumably the plaster was used in the pottery industry as it's Staffs.

Staffordshire Past Track -Staton's Plaster Mill, Tutbury
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks Gllian - I hadn't thought of it being used in the pottery industry. What would it be used for??

Comment

Now then Merry, if you had visited the Poole pottery factory, when it was there, and had a guided tour, you would know!

They used plaster to form the moulds for moulding some of the pieces, I think it was mainly the more complex pieces, but I do have in my mind that the cups and plates were moulded onto a plaster template to keep them all the same shape.
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Well, Plaster of Paris moulds were used in the industry from c. mid 18th century. Also, according to this site - Occupations in the Pottery Industry in Stafford, England -
          Clay temperer, prepares clay for certain types of tiles. Puts clay on damping slabs made from plaster to absorb moisture before going into press.
          It could have been unrelated to the potteries though - eg lathe and plaster walls.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Well, Plaster of Paris moulds were used in the industry from c. mid 18th century.
            lol Gillian, I feel really stupid now - that's really obvious isn't it!

Now then Merry, if you had visited the Poole pottery factory, when it was there, and had a guided tour, you would know!

Sue, :o :o I have been on the guided tour several times, be it rather a long time ago! Also my grandfather went to school with one of the Carters of Carters tiles (which preceded Poole pottery) and was a designer at their workshop in Poole for a couple of years, so I SHOULD know something about it!! lol (but don't!)

All I thought of was plaster cornices and ceiling roses and the like, but you two have made me think bit more!

Thanks very much

Comment

Try googling "Thwaite Mills Leeds Yorkshire". Another fine example of an old mill which was used for various enterprises, one of which being crushing chalk and lime. A visit is well worth while if you are in the area. If you want more information I have some in my local history file, just pm me. Regards genious

Comment

Thankyou genious

Comment

it is a small world isn't it, one of my dear friends is a decendent of the Carters that had the Kinson Pottery, (2 Carter brothers set up different potteries so I gather, Poole and Kinson- while one-Poole did the fancy stuff, Kinson did the boring pipes and drains!)
                  Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at the seaside View Post
                    it is a small world isn't it, one of my dear friends is a decendent of the Carters that had the Kinson Pottery, (2 Carter brothers set up different potteries so I gather, Poole and Kinson- while one-Poole did the fancy stuff, Kinson did the boring pipes and drains!)
                    You learn something every day! I didn't know that.

I expect they both went to school with my grandfather - Sidcot School was a Quaker school at Winscombe in Somerset. My great-grandfather was a teacher there.

Comment

The Kinson Pottery was in Ringwood Road, Near the car auction place. I think the area is called Pottery industrial estate, there is the Pottery pub near by too, so history is not forgotten. My friend's parents have a massive aerial photo of the original pottery site in their kitchen, I would never have known about it if my husband had not been so nosey as to ask what the picture was!
                      Sue x

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at the seaside View Post
                        The Kinson Pottery was in Ringwood Road, Near the car auction place. I think the area is called Pottery industrial estate, there is the Pottery pub near by too, so history is not forgotten. My friend's parents have a massive aerial photo of the original pottery site in their kitchen, I would never have known about it if my husband had not been so nosey as to ask what the picture was!
                        lol! I think I know where you mean! OH informs me that his first girlfriend worked for the pipes and drains people!

Comment

And just to complete the picture, does anyone remember Jack Warner's monologue?

Funny Occupations 1... Jack Warner
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X