GEDCOM from Ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEDCOM from Ancestry?

My daughter's boyfriend sent me a query late last night, which I can't answer.

Can anyone help him?

"How do you download a Gedcom file from ancesty.co.uk? I keep getting .GED.txt files when I try."

He is trying to get further with his tree and I have been helping him with bits and pieces. The problem is a lot of it is based in the Isle of Man!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I have seen this problem before when the file comes down as a text file rather than a true GEDCOM file. It seems to do with the set up on your computer and I remember reading about it in the Ancestry troubleshooting section.

When the file is downloaded to your computer you should be able to right click it and select OPEN WITH, and then choose whichever family history program you have on your machine.
    Elaine

Comment

Just had a go and mine downloaded as a .GED when I exported. The only problem seemed to be that when I imported it then into Legacy, some of the "circa" dates were not recognised - although the Ancestry tree was originally created from an uploaded Legacy file and has not been edited since.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

This is how it should work!

- but as I said I have had experience of them only downloading as txt files - in fact there is a member on here who always has this problem so in the past I have downloaded their file for them (it downloads on to my machine as a true gedcom) and then sent it to them by email!

Just another thought - if he using Firefox, then try doing it through IE.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Gillian - I'll e-mail him your replies and hopefully he will have better luck today.

I've never tried to download an Ancestry tree. I think it might belong to his aunt in New Zealand. He was showing me some photos and certificates last weekend.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            I have seen this problem before when the file comes down as a text file rather than a true GEDCOM file. It seems to do with the set up on your computer and I remember reading about it in the Ancestry troubleshooting section.

When the file is downloaded to your computer you should be able to right click it and select OPEN WITH, and then choose whichever family history program you have on your machine.
            elaine it was mine i want to upload a new one with more names but you had to do it for me twice i had lots of problems i think you emailed ancestry but with no luck brenda xxx

Comment

Yes it was yours Bren!
              If you need a new GEDCOM downloading from Ancestry then just let me know and I will do it for you.
              Elaine

Comment

Bren - I guessed it was yours!! ;)
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Working...
                X