Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Research Help Please

Hi All,

Hope there's someone out there with experience of researching Scottish records who can help me please.
    I am looking to trace my great-aunt, Dorice Scarlett (sometimes known as Dolly), she was born 3q 1892 in Portsea Island, Portsmouth. I have already located her in both 1901 & 1911 census when she was still living locally; in 1911 she was with her maternal grandmother, who died in 1912.

The last certain record of her I have is that she was a witness at the (double) wedding of her brothers in Southsea in 1915. Family stories say she went to Scotland to live & never married.

I am very interested in trying to trace her 'forward' as I would dearly love to know why she went to Scotland & also whether there is any truth in the fable of her inheriting some kind of 'family sword'. I have been on Scotlands People & can find no record of a marriage or death for her, but as this is the only link I have in Scotland I am wondering if I am missing something obvious.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted,
    Hayley

Researching SCARLETT, HOLLAND, STICKLAND/STRICKLAND, QUICK - in Portsmuth area
    DAVIES, LLEWELLYN, WALSH in Wales

Hi Hayley

My first suggestion was going to be checking the death and marriage registers on Scotlandspeople but i noticed you have tried that already.
    Unless you find a definate record of something in Scotland it looks like a trawl through the England/Wales records and probably worth checking the passenger lists in case she appears on them at some point.

Family rumours often are just that, rumours and nothing more so the Scotland reference may be a red herring.

Of course if she did marry at some point it would mean her death registration should appear in her married name but stranger things have happened before now.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen, it's good to know I am not missing something totally obvious. Must admit I had not thought about checking passenger lists, it makes sense that he whole Scotland thing might be a red herring, especially as I can't find a record of her death in Scotland.
      Hayley

Comment

I did a quick freebie search and there are only 120 or so deaths for the surname from 1915.

Another thought, even if she did live in Scotland she might have been on her travels and died miles away from where she lived, possibly in England for example. Sometimes the more unlikely it seems the more likely it is to happen but that's family for you.

I live in Scotland but can easily cross the border into England 10 times in a day, if anything happened when i was on the other side then it would go down as an English event although my (English) family always think i live an hour north of Aberdeen and hae ten months of snow per year.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

It's so maddening! I also suspect that wherever she died the person who registered the death must have been a friend, not family (assuming it's true she never married) as all her family would have been a long way away. Therefore they might never have known all the correct details to register the death.
          Hayley

Comment

i had a look on freebmd and there are few Doris Scarlett's marriages - maybe her first name was written wrongly on the marriage cetificates if she stayed in england?
            Angelina

Comment

Thanks Angelina. I think I am going to have a look into those marriages, it seems obvious to me that Dorice might be mis-heard as Doris, but her name has been spelled correctly on 1901 & 1911 census, which I wasn't really expecting. Suppose it's also possible Scarlett could be mis-spelt at Scarlet.
              Hayley

Comment

i found a relation whose surname was Haywood and she is down as Hayward for mariage and it doesnt show up on phonetic searches which is odd. so i think maybe it is worth chasing the Doris's and seee if anyone remembers the surnames of the grooms?
                hope you find her
                Angelina

Comment

Working...
                X