3 couples but only 1 child?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 couples but only 1 child?

I'm a bit mystified by this, three siblings all married but only one child doesn't seem quite right somehow. Either i'm missing deaths of spouses and 2nd marriages or i'm just finding the end of a family.
    The three sibs were all born in Liverpool and the family moved to Sheffield by 1901.

Joseph Crooks Goulson, b1877.
    Marriages Jun 1909 (>99%)
    ----------------------------
    GOULSON Joseph Crooks Sheffield 9c 1040
    MASON Annie Sheffield 9c 1040
    STEEN Charles Sheffield 9c 1040
    WALTON Harriet Sheffield 9c 1040

I can't find a likely match in the 1911 to decide which wife and there isn't an obvious birth under either mmn. No re-marriage or death record for JCG and no entries at all in the surname on CWGC.

Nelly Edith Goulson, b1880

She appears in Sheffield in 1901 and 1911, next appearance is
    Marriages Jun 1915 (>99%)
    -----------------------------
    Clarke Samuel Goulson Sheffield 9c 1377
    Goulson Nellie E Clarke Sheffield 9c 1377

No kids in the bmd using mmn and no obvious matching bmd entries for Nelly and Samuel.

Benjamin Goulson b 1883.

Marriages Sep 1907 (>99%)
    ---------------------------------------
    GOULSON Benjamin Ecclesall B. 9c 806
    HIBBARD Alice Ecclesall B. 9c 806
    LILLEYMAN Lydia Ecclesall B. 9c 806
    PARKINSON Harry Graham Ecclesall B. 9c 806

1911 shows Benjamin in Sheffield and also an Alice Goulson, also noted is a one year old child called Ben. I'm guessing that this is a family group as the Ancestry phone books show two Benjamin/Ben Goulson entries in Sheffield over many years.

So just what happened with Joseph and Nelly? Have i just found childless folks in my tree?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

It happens. Mum's four maternal aunts & uncles only produced two girls between them, though all married. And no tales either of still births or miscarriages.

Though they might have upped sticks and just aren't on the available passenger lists.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Glen

No help to you, but my own family takes a real nose dive around the turn of the 19th century. They go from having huge families to virtual extinction in only one generation, very strange.

My eight great grandparents (four couples, of course) produced only six living children between the lot of them, and two of those never married.

OC

Comment

I wonder if it's just a fluke with this branch of the family, funny thing is just today i found some bits for another branch and looked back over the census returns only to find the future wives in the next household and when you look at the names in both households you can almost predict the names of the next generation.

I suppose it just comes as a suprise to find one line that doesn't have huge families.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

GOULSON Joseph Crooks Sheffield 9c 1040
          MASON Annie Sheffield 9c 1040
          STEEN Charles Sheffield 9c 1040
          WALTON Harriet Sheffield 9c 1040
          There's a Steen/Mason birth in 1913, so Joseph probably married Harriet Walton

Comment

Joseph and Harriet are together in 1911 - surname spelled GORTSON, but no other GORTSONs in the house.

Comment

1911 shows Benjamin in Sheffield and also an Alice Goulson, also noted is a one year old child called Ben. I'm guessing that this is a family group.
              Yes, they are

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                Joseph and Harriet are together in 1911 - surname spelled GORTSON, but no other GORTSONs in the house.
                Now why didn't i think of that I mean it's soooo obvious innit?

Cheers Merry

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                X