Italian research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian research

I have been looking into my niece's husbands tree. I have found that one of his 4 x great grandparents was born in Genoa, Italy.

1851 census HO107; Piece: 2115; Folio: 85; Page: 11

Jacomine Vally age 26

Marriage Dec qtr 1846 Caistor, Lincs. 14 - 457

Jacomin Valle to Sarah Bellamy

How do I go back from here?

Just seen on the 1861 he is now known as John and born in Piedmont, Sardinia.
    RG9; Piece: 2396; Folio: 45; Page: 13
    Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 16-04-09, 22:21.

I've recently found Italians from Sardinia in my tree too! If you have a look at the Wiki there is an Italian Genealogy forum listed and they were quite helpful. They offer standard letters in Italian to help you get under way assuming that you know where to start!!

Here's the link to the Forum

There is no description for this category.
    Last edited by Sue from Southend; 17-04-09, 08:00. Reason: To add link
    Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue.

I have looked at that.

Only just found the Italian / Sardinian connection last night. Niece's OH has put me in touch with an uncle of his who also confims an Italian connection in some research done in the family some years ago.

I'm going to cross check stuff with him.

Comment

Piedmont isn't in Sardinia, it's a region on the mainland of Italy (the capital is Turin). Genoa's a town in the Liguria region of Italy.

However, Genoa apparently became part of Piedmont (Kingdom of Sardinia) in 1815.
        Sardinia formed a union with Piedmont in 1847, and they became part of the Kingdom of Italy when it was unified in 1861:

Sardinia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Genoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Civil registration began in 1866 - before that, parish registers were kept by individual parish priests, who still hold them. There's no central registration even after 1866 - each town keeps its own records.

So unless you can find out which parish he came from, I doubt if you'll manage to get much further.

More Italian links here:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-04-09, 13:35.

Comment

Sue, I've just realised I never came back to you about your Italian question. Sorry about that - I'll PM you shortly.

Comment

By the way, I would guess Jacomine's original name would be Giacomino Valle.

Comment

Thank you Mary, I was hoping you would be around.

I was googling and had read that about the Kingdom of Sardinia. You have explained it better though.

Niece's hubby's uncle has emailed me. He does have paperwork on that side of the family done by a family member years ago but it is packed away as he will be moving soon.

He did say: Joachim's father was Giacomo born c1800 in Piedmont, Italy

I'll give up on that one then

Comment

Redacted
                Last edited by Penelope; 17-04-09, 23:59.

Comment

Working...
                X