X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate Cry for Help

:(Help Please!!)
    Charlotte Farquharson
    I am looking for information on the above who is an ancestor of my husband.
    She was born 1821 in Clarendon Jamaica and was a British subject. She returned to Scotland where she had a daughter with John McLarty a Customs and Excise man. They were never married. The daughter was born in1841 in Aberdeenshire Scotland and was named Eliza McLarty. She married Alexander Bisset on 11/11/1860 in Aberdeenshire and she died 29/05/1899 in Aberdeenshire. Charlotte did marry and I believe her married name was Allan or McAllan but have no other info. on her except that she died 11/11/1860.
    Can anyone help me with this one as I can get no further with that side of our family tree.
    Regards to all on the site convent girl.

Did this all go on in Scotland?I can't spot then in 1851 census (Scotland)

found alexander & Eliza on 1861
    Parish: Alford; ED: 3; Page: 10; Line: 24; Roll: CSSCT1861_27; Year: 1861.

Eliza says born Alford too
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 16-04-09, 18:43.
    Jess

Comment

Have you tried this Jamaica Family History site?

Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library

Comment

There's a chance her birth is in the Overseas births on FMP if it was registered with the British Consul.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Is she the Charlotte Farquharson age 25 in Alford, Aberdeenshire, on the 1841 census? Birthplace is given as "No" on ancestry's transcription, "outside census county" on FreeCEN. No Eliza listed with her but maybe Eliza was born after census night? If it is the right Charlotte then she is with lots of other Farquharsons including James 55 (Ancestry gives his occupation as "Minister of the Gorper", lol, but FreeCEN says Minister of the Gospel), and Helen 40, both born Aberdeenshire, but they are probably not Charlotte's parents, maybe some other relation? If you look at the census image on Scotland's People it might be more help. Both ancestry and FreeCEN say that Charlotte is listed after the other Farquharsons, so it doesn't look as though she was James and Helen's daughter.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by convent girl View Post
            The daughter was born in1841 in Aberdeenshire Scotland and was named Eliza McLarty. She married Alexander Bisset on 11/11/1860 in Aberdeenshire and she died 29/05/1899 in Aberdeenshire. Charlotte did marry and I believe her married name was Allan or McAllan but have no other info. on her except that she died 11/11/1860.
            Are you sure about the date of Charlotte's death? It seems very unlikely that she died on the exact day of her daughter's wedding? I know it could happen, but I'm wondering whether you mean to say she died before 11/11/1860, i.e. it says she was deceased on the daughter's marriage certificate? Perhaps it says "mother Charlotte McAllan MS Farquharson deceased" or something similar? There is a Charlotte Farquharson death on Scotland's People listed in 1858, but age is 58 so too old to be your Charlotte.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Charlotte Farquharson

HI

1851 census finds Charlotte transcribed as

Charlote Farquharson age 30 a dressmaker bn West Indies and is a lodger in the household of a familiy Headed by Alexander Wilson bn circa 1773 Aberdeenshire

For Ref

Alford; ED: 1; Page: 16; Line: 8; Roll: 1158; Year: 1851.
              WendyP

Comment

Re Desperate Cry for Help

Re my enquiry about Charlotte Farquharson a BIG BIG THANK YOU to all who replied withsome information. I did get Charlotte's date of death wrong. I think the info. on Eliza's marriage certificate showed that it was the father John who was deceased not Charlotte so I dont' know when she died.
                I have managed to look at the 1851 census and it does seem that Charlotte is listed on it as a dressmaker lodging with a family named Wilson. However after that I have not found any other details, except that she seems to have married and her name was given as Allan on Eliza's marriage cert.
                Again many thanks to all,
                Regards convent girl:

Comment

So maybe we will be able to find her on the 1861 census then.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Maybe this one (from the IGI)? Although the date's a bit early:

Charlotte Ann Farquharson
                    Female

Event(s):
                    Birth:
                    Christening: 15 MAY 1817 St James, , Jamaica, Caribbean

Death:
                    Burial:

Parents:
                    Father: William Farquharson
                    Mother: Charlotte Farquharson

Comment

As she was born in the West Indies, the chances are that her father was a soldier.

This one would be a possibility; he's the only one I can see who was discharged after 1821, but he was from Banffshire:

Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents WO 97/1016/31
                      WILLIAM FARQUHARSON Born CRONDALL, Banffshire Served in 93rd Foot Regiment Discharged aged 45 . 93rd Foot: Dar - Gil Date range: 1800 - 1822.

From National Archives: Quick Search

Comment

Scotland's People has an Inventory for Reverend Dr. James Farquharson, minister of the parish of Alford, date 9/10/1844, 9 pages long (cost 5 pounds) which might help. Although it is an Inventory it may give details of various relatives so I would say worth having a look in case. (He must be the James who Charlotte is with on the 1841 census.) They also have a will and inventory for his widow Helen (other surname given as Taylor) date 1873 so again, there could be mention of family members in those.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Re Charlotte Farquharson

thanks again for all the speedy replies about Charlotte. the information from Mary is very helpful and it may be that the date of birth was indeed 1817 as the later date of 1821 was I think taken from the information on the Census of 1841 or 1851. If her father was in the army I might be able to get some local information as Banff isn't that far away from Aberdeenshire where she eventually lived and where I live. If any other details come to light I will let you know.
                          Regards convent girl

Comment

I haven't looked at the censuses - is that where the birthplace of Clarendon came from? I was wrongly assuming that St. James was a parish in the town of Clarendon, but I've just been looking at the map, and they're two separate parishes. Clarendon's a long way from St. James, so if Clarendon is the correct birthplace, St. James is probably the wrong baptism.

Clarendon Parish, Jamaica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                            Saint James Parish, Jamaica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Re Charlotte Farquharson

Hello Mary thanks for the info. re Charlotte. The details of her birth place being Clarendon came from another family member's tree but may not be correct, I also thought it was a parish of St. James.
                              Re. William was his birth name Crondall? I thought it may be a place in Banff but there is no such place. I couldn't find the details you gave me on the National Archives, is it possible to e-mail them to me? If so let me know and I can give you me e-mail address.
                              Thanks again for the help regards convent girl

Comment

HI

I had spare credit that Ihad forgotten about so I used them as they were about to expire anyway.

this is the part of Eliza Bisset nee Mclarty's death cert of 1899

As you can see it gives a bit of info about Charlotte but sadly not enough.

Further to that death Alexander also lost a daughter also called Eliza and who was 37 she had married an Arthur Mcallan (cattle Dealer) had also passed on the 5th may 1899.

And here is a snippet from the marriage cert of Eliza Mclarty to Alexander Bisset in 1860

WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by convent girl View Post

Re. William was his birth name Crondall? I thought it may be a place in Banff but there is no such place. I couldn't find the details you gave me on the National Archives, is it possible to e-mail them to me?
                                  No, Crondall's the birthplace.

I see there is a Crondall in Hampshire, so I'm wondering if they've misread the name of the county.

If you go to the search page:

National Archives: Quick Search

and put Farquharson Chelsea in the search box, it'll bring up all the men with the surname Farquharson that they have a military discharge file for (Chelsea pensioners).

You can obtain a photocopy of the file; if you click on the link, it takes you to a page where you can request an estimate. You should specify that you're only interested if the birthplace is in Scotland, and ask them to check whether it really is Banffshire or Hampshire.

Comment

Working...
                                  X