Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• likely info on a birth 1909-'adopted'

Hi all,

I'm looking at a family in the 1911, one of the daughters is my grt gr.
    As well as the 4 grown children in the household there is a 2 yr old boy listed as 'adopted'
    - he has the same family surname
    - I can see a birth online, also for the family surname

Suspicion: there are 3 daughters of a child bearing age (and grt granny went on to have an illegitimate son in 1913!)- have the grandparents 'adopted' their grandson?

Query: If this is so, do you think the birth will be registered to the correct mother (i.e.the daughter) or was it practice then to register him as belonging to grandparents?

I know I can solve this by ordering the cert, just wondering if it'll tell the truth????

In theory the cert will have the mother (one of the daughter's) named on it.
    Jay

Comment

Mmm...in theory!
      Just wondered if anyone had come across anything similar - quite common for grandparents to bring up surprise grandchildren, I know......

Comment

Well if they were trying to cover up their daughter had a child out of marriage then BOTH the birth & the census would show them as parents.

So him showing 'adopted' on the census makes me think the birth would show the mother.
        Jay

Comment

That makes sense, Jay, thanks...spect I'll find grt granny was a serial bad girl!!
          This wasn't even what I was trying to find on census, typical -another twig to interest me..!!

not ignoring further replies, computer insisting on restart, why I don't know!

Comment

I think it was probably an informal arrangement and therefore the birth certificate should state the parent(s) name on it - unless they lied of course!!!

Think legal adoptions came into being much later.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

legal adoption started 1927.

this child is probably not illegitimate as they tended to be passed off as the grandparents' own.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X