Alice Paskins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice Paskins

This lady was born in Sussex circa 1830. I can see that she's on the 1841 census, but not who she's with. In 1881 she gave her birthplace as Brighton.

Could sks tell me who she is with? She doesn't appear to be living in Brighton.

She marries Henry William Talbot at St Clement Danes Westminster in 1852. I can't find her in 1851, but suspect she might be transcribed as Agnes - presumably a servant?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Is this the one Phoenix?
    Class: HO107; Piece 1123; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Brighthelmstone; County: Sussex; Enumeration District: 12; Folio: 21; Page: 8; Line: 2; GSU roll: 464167

Reuben Poskins 30
    Mary Paskins 30
    Alice Paskins 12
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

They're at St Georges Road (1841) Brighton

Reuben aged 30 ~ Coal Dealer (I think)
      Mary aged 30 (not born in County)
      Alice aged 12
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Agnes Paskins (c 1829) is at the Oxford Arms, London Road, Southwark St George, Surrey

Working as a Bar Maid
        Last edited by Rachel Scand; 16-04-09, 13:09.
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Ooh, thank you ladies for being so quick!
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I have just joined this forum after googling for Alice Paskins snd finding your message.
            I hope you still there after all this time, but it may be that these days people tend to confer on Facebook?

Anyway, I have just started to look at the Paskins link, because I am running out of ideas on the Talbot side - Henry W Talbot was my gg grandfather.

It looks to me as though Alice was living with Henry at 9 Newcastle St. when they were wed...

I am contributing to wikitree when the data is firm - do you do that? I can help with Wikitree if needed.

I am also on GenesReunited, mainly for amassing unchecked data. A relative also does Ancestry.com and helps me fill some gaps.

Hope we can help each other!

Red Lion (of Talbot)

Comment

Red Lion .........

Just one note ................

the fact that the bride and groom gave the same address on a marriage certificate does not mean that they were living together.

They might have been, but it seems that it was more common for one to take a suitcase to the address of the other and leave it there but not themselves also stay at the address ... especially if they lived in different parishes.

Banns had to be called in each parish if the bride and groom lived in different ones, and Banns had to be paid for. Thus it was cheaper if they appeared to live in the same Parish!

A suitcase left in a room in one address for the duration of the period that Banns were called, maybe some clothes unpacked, seems to have been sufficient.

A money-saving measure for people who didn't have much money
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Lion View Post
                I have just joined this forum after googling for Alice Paskins snd finding your message.
                I hope you still there after all this time, but it may be that these days people tend to confer on Facebook?

Anyway, I have just started to look at the Paskins link, because I am running out of ideas on the Talbot side - Henry W Talbot was my gg grandfather.

It looks to me as though Alice was living with Henry at 9 Newcastle St. when they were wed...

I am contributing to wikitree when the data is firm - do you do that? I can help with Wikitree if needed.

I am also on GenesReunited, mainly for amassing unchecked data. A relative also does Ancestry.com and helps me fill some gaps.

Hope we can help each other!

Red Lion (of Talbot)
                Not sure if Phoenix has been on the forum recently. I will send her a private message on your behalf and hopefully she still has the same email address to receive it.
                Margaret

Comment

Just seen your post, Margaret. I have been in touch with Phoenix last week and I have sent as requested by her, her email addy to Red Lion.
                  Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                    Just seen your post, Margaret. I have been in touch with Phoenix last week and I have sent as requested by her, her email addy to Red Lion.
                    Great!
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                      Red Lion .........

Just one note ................

the fact that the bride and groom gave the same address on a marriage certificate does not mean that they were living together.

They might have been, but it seems that it was more common for one to take a suitcase to the address of the other and leave it there but not themselves also stay at the address ... especially if they lived in different parishes.

Banns had to be called in each parish if the bride and groom lived in different ones, and Banns had to be paid for. Thus it was cheaper if they appeared to live in the same Parish!

A suitcase left in a room in one address for the duration of the period that Banns were called, maybe some clothes unpacked, seems to have been sufficient.

A money-saving measure for people who didn't have much money

Thank you for enlightening me. I will not be so suspicious in future! I think I can see some other possible instances of this on the poor side of my family, so it all now makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                        Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X