How far can you go back on line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can you go back on line?

Just wondering whether I have got the right end of the stick here, as I have gone I think as far back as I can go on line with my direct ancestors on ancestry. Am I right in thinking that the 1802 births have not made it on line yet, if I am wrong, where do you look?

Presumably its looking at parish records and visiting churchyards from now on, or does someone know of magical armchair geneology, if so please share.

When you say 1802 births, were you thinking of civil certificates? The civil registration system began in July 1837, so you won't get any GRO certificates from before that and will generally be relying on parish records for baptism and possible birth entries.

You still may be able to trace information online (the IGI for instance), but in the same way as backing up info with buying certs you should back up online info with viewing the original parish records etc.

Comment

Have you looked at this site it is pre 1837 BMD's, parish records and it is free
      FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
      GWEN

Comment

I have now and now know that names of my GGGGP, I knew the name Isabella before and the ages check out too. Bit of a surprise that she came from Westmoreland and is a Curry.

Comment

Free Reg is also worth keeping your eye on. Some counties are better than others.

FreeREG Search

Try googling your hamlet/village/town of interest as there are a lot of pockets of Parish Records online but in the main I would say there is nothing like the thrill of the CRO where you will find the most records for your family whether it be Baptisms/Marriages/Wills/Settlement Certs/Bailiffs Documents/Gamekeepers Licences/Marriage Licences/Bastardy Bonds/Estate Documents/ Manorial Docs. In the main you will only find these things in the CRO not online. The number of docs online is minute compared to what is in the record offices.

Janet

Comment

Working...
          X