Broken USB memory stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken USB memory stick

My memory stick is starting to get all wobbly !! I suppose where i am constantly using it, as I always use it when on my tree, what I would like to know is,.....is there any easy way to tranfer all the information from the old stick to another stick, which has my tree and photos etc, I am wondering if it can be done as 'an all in one' rather them having to do it all separately, as there is so much on it...must do it soon as it is getting to a hit and miss to whether it works or not!! thanks :o...Lilly

If you have 2 USB ports on your PC you just transfer from 1 drive to the other
    L

Comment

What!! lol.. yes I do have 2 USB ports and two memory sticks, so, I put a stick in each USB and ?????, sorry I think I have missed something lol...please explain lol...Lilly

Comment

with your old stick connected
        click on start bottom left on screen
        then my computer
        select the drive for your stick its usually E
        go to edit select all
        go back to edit select copy.
        insert new stick and then paste .
        hope it works for you

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

You can do what Alan suggests, however if you put both both sticks in they should show up on "my computer" as two seperate drives you can then drag and drop from one to t'other
          L

Comment

ah, now I understand lol, thank you.....I am now wondering if these memory sticks, are as great as they are made out to be, yes they are great for backing up stuff, but if they break you are going to be in a bit of a pickle....so as far as family trees are concerned, maybe is really is best to have everything backed up on acid free paper after all....as it seems these CD and memory sticks etc, aren't going to last forever are they?!!!!! off to tranfer now, thanks again......Lilly...

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
              ah, now I understand lol, thank you.....I am now wondering if these memory sticks, are as great as they are made out to be, yes they are great for backing up stuff, but if they break you are going to be in a bit of a pickle....so as far as family trees are concerned, maybe is really is best to have everything backed up on acid free paper after all....as it seems these CD and memory sticks etc, aren't going to last forever are they?!!!!! off to tranfer now, thanks again......Lilly...
              Sticks are intended as a temporary means of storing information that you want to transfer from one machine to another, they are not really intended as a permanent storage media (they aren't considered stable enough).

Discs are more reliable long term and much more preferable, if you use two or three R/W (re-writeable) discs on an alternating basis then you probably have the next best thing to an external hard drive. By using alternate discs you give yourself an option of a disc were to fail for any reason.

An idea of how to use the alternating disc method is shown at post #24 on the following thread, disregard it mentions FTM, the method works regardless of what programme you use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hmm very good point Glen, I always use to back up on CD, but found it so much more convenient to use a memory stick, so just carried on using it, and forgot about the piles of CD's , which are still sitting in a box.....also use to back it up with paper as well, but discovering the 'stick' has made me lazy, I never thought about it breaking!!!!!so, time to go back to the old ways I thinks, very interesting reading the other thread, I do use FTM, so its prefect for me...many thanks..........Lilly...ps .I do remember the old, Son, Father,Grandfather trick as well lol...
                L

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                  Sticks are intended as a temporary means of storing information that you want to transfer from one machine to another, they are not really intended as a permanent storage media (they aren't considered stable enough).

Discs are more reliable long term and much more preferable, if you use two or three R/W (re-writeable) discs on an alternating basis then you probably have the next best thing to an external hard drive. By using alternate discs you give yourself an option of a disc were to fail for any reason.

An idea of how to use the alternating disc method is shown at post #24 on the following thread, disregard it mentions FTM, the method works regardless of what programme you use:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/famil...-guides-3.html
                  Tip
                  Never use re-writable CDs or DVDs for back-up purposes.
                  You will over write the latest back-up at some time or another. The safest course of action is to use write once media using a new disk for each new back-up.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I was told this too at a computer shop Guy hadnt thought about it before a useful tip

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                      Tip
                      Never use re-writable CDs or DVDs for back-up purposes.
                      You will over write the latest back-up at some time or another. The safest course of action is to use write once media using a new disk for each new back-up.
                      Cheers
                      Guy
                      True there will be over writing at some point with a re-write disc, i create a backup once a week, more often if i have added a major amount of work and always before splitting or a major edit to a file, using a three disc system if i do overwrite something then the chances are it is something that is quite a few weeks (if not a month or two) out of date. Based on my current filesize i would overwrite every third time a disc is used so i "lose" a version of a file that is around two months old.

I probably create backups more often than most people (perhaps too often if that is possible) and using write once discs would soon see me over run with discs. In my circumstances i would have to suffer three damaged r-w discs and a hard drive failure all at once to lose my file but for someone creating a backup less frequently then needs may dictate a different method.

There is an argument for both types of disc, which to use largely depends on how big the files are, how many discs are used in a rotating set and how often backups are made.

Whichever system is used though the important thing to stress is make regular backup copies, you can always change your backup management system at any time but you can't retrieve what you don't save.
                      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 18-04-09, 01:49.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                      X