Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording family history

Hello again,
    I have decided family tree 2009 deluxe is far too complex and confusing for what i want. is there a programme that isnt linked to any internet sites, is made for the uk, i have a 1998 version called family tree, which is just what i need reaaly, but just missing divorce and how to put couples living together but not married, i know i sound hard to please but i have stacks of files and just want a programme to get them all in order,

Regards gunner

You really have two options

i. Use a basic tree builder
    ii. Use a more advanced programme but enter basic information and omit things like sources and references.

The basic programmes might appear to be easy to use but they often lack features you later find you could use. In essence Genes use the most basic tree builder there is and it has several limitations that make it almost unusable in certain circumstances.

The more advanced programmes can be used as a simple tree builder but still offer you options later on. In time you might find you connect to another researcher and if you have a basic programme whilst the other researcher has a more advanced programme you may find it difficult to share information easily, there is an argument for having a more advanced programme and using a few of the features rather than using a basic programme you later find lacks features.

You might think for example that you don't need to use a GEDCOM file, a basic programme may use the old format but a more advanced programme can create and use both the latest and the earlier versions, adding things like scans of certs or photographs may also not be possible with a basic programme and that can mean swapping screens on your pc.

If you really want to stick with a basic programme then the online sites such as Ancestry, GR or Tribal Pages are probably the easiest but it does mean you have to be online to view/edit your tree and you are trusting your tree to a third party with all the problems that can present.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

See my post on yummy's thread, Roots magic cheap and easy to use
      L

Comment

Thanks Glen and L,
        I think you may be right Glen, i never thought of just using family tree maker for my own needs, i was assuming i had to do it their way, and to be honest it dos'nt seem very UK orientated, I will look at your post L if i can find it thanks again for your help

Comment

Just to illustrate the difference between the most basic programmes and the more advanced you might find it useful to have a look at a reference thread i did for FTM 2005/6.

If you can skip over some of the "how" information then posts #1, #5 and #8 show the useful side to sources and facts you might want to record. It means a bit more work when you initially add information but it makes everything instantly available in reports. A basic programme won't offer the same option, ultimately how you record things is down to personal choice but if you find the details and record them certain programmes let you use the information more readily than others.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Gunner, if you can get hold of a copy of Family Tree Maker 2006 I think you will find it far more userfriendly than the 2008/2009 versions.

Glen´s ´Hints and Tips´ are based on FTM2005/2006 - which as you can see is totally different to the latest version!
            Elaine

Comment

Hello Glen,
              that is just what i want, (i think). that was in family tree maker 2005 i think it said, are the same boxes in my version 2009, the older versions seem more user friendly

Regards gunner

Comment

Elaine...Spain probably knows better than me as she has FTM 2009 as well as FTM2006, the layout in 2009 will be different but the options will be pretty much the same for types of information and sources.

The screenshots are from my FTM 2005 but the 2005/2006 are so similiar you wouldn't really tell one from the other.

Whichever software programme you use there is a minimum amount of info you want to record;

birth date/place
                marriage date/place
                death date/place

You then really want to record your sources;
                certificate
                parish record
                bmd reference etc.....

In addition you can then add other useful/interesting information

burial information
                census information
                military records
                probate and wills

By adding the sources of these and using a report option offered in the programme (there are several types of report depending on the programme used) you then have a way to see what you have and what you might need.
                For me personally i find it useful as it points out where my research is lacking in certain areas but it's just my way, that doesn't mean it is correct or the only way. I just use the options available in a way i find useful to me.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Once again thank you, i will start looking for a 2006 version, then hopefully, i can start enjoying putting my research in order again. (anybody want my version and the official guid)

Comment

No problem Gunner

I'm not sayig that FTM is the ultimate programme for your needs, it just happens to be what i use and it suits me, others will recommend what they use and know. It might be orth looking t the top of this page and clicking the names of the programmes shown, they give an outline as to what you can do with the different programmes, you would have to nuy a copy of FTM but some of the other programmes can be downloaded for free.

Software is a funny thing though, some folks love one programme and find others a nightmare, because it is such a personal thing it's hard to recommend one above another, you could of course try one and transfer your information to another at any time and try them "side by side" for comparison.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

It's also worth looking outside of the FTM stable, legacy is pretty easy and if you think of families as a tree the ability of Family Historian to construct a family by drawing a tree is unique (and is great if talking to a family member as they can see the tree appear as they give you the information.
                      Jane
                      Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                      "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Ftm

i have been looking for FTM2006, all i can find Is the GSP family tree maker, and a few more made by GSP,

Comment

GSP is the company that manufactured it.

If you look at this Amazon page you will see the GSP FTM 2006 is what you need. If you can find it you should be able to get just the disc, without any fancy extras, for 5 or 10 pounds, sometimes even with a month´s sub to Ancestry.

Amazon.co.uk: family tree maker 2006

The GSP Who Do You Think You Are is also OK - BUT make sure it has 2006 written on the box. You don´t want 2008 which is similar to the 2009 that you have already got.

I´ll have a look at some other websites and see if I can find it at a better price.
                          Elaine

Comment

My History Family Tree Maker 2006

FTM 2006 version at 14.95 pounds which includes 1 months Ancestry subscription (worth 6.60 pounds)

FTM deluxe version at 19.95 pounds which includes 3 months Ancestry subscription (worth 20 pounds)

Not sure what the charges are for P&P
                            Elaine

Comment

TWR Computing Family Tree Maker 2006

Similar prices - have used these before - can recommend them - prices include P&P
                              Elaine

Comment

Ftm

Thanks Elaine,
                                your help is much appreciated, looking at the amazon site now thanks

gunner

Comment

I think i will go with your recommended firm Elaine, i will ring them tomorrow so i can tell them just what i want, they do a UK version i hope, thanks a million Elaine, and all the others who have given me their advice i appreciate it i can tell you.

gunner

Comment

I've used TWR in the past, they were very prompt and helpful
                                    Bren

Looking for
                                    WIDDOWS (Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia)
                                    SOUTHGATE, TURNER, EBBAGE (All Norfolk)
                                    COXHEAD (Canada)
                                    WADE (USA)

Comment

Working...
                                    X