Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How you helped me find my Wragg/Wragge

Hi all

Had been searching on ancestry for my Wragg family. I could not find them on the 1881 census, just could not understand it. Then I read about how names and details got recorded and mistakes could be make, this led me to search Wragge as well, and there they are top of the list.

Thanks very much. Saved me a lot of time

Lynda

When you're looking on Ancestry, it's well worth making use of their wildcard facility. Exasperatingly, they demand at least three non-space characters before you put in a wildcard, but it would mean that, using your case as an example, you would search for "Wrag*", to pick up every name which started "Wrag..."

It's also worth using the less-is-more principle, because there are often mistranscriptions, so you can pick up what you're after on (say) three quarters of the info and bypass something which has been mis-entered.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

HI
      do you know where they where as I have wraggs in my family

Laura

Comment

Hi there

My Wraggs are Elizabeth Wragg 1889 my Great-Grandmother,
        Her parents Edwin Wragg c 1853 Shropshire, Whitchurch. Elizabeth Parker his wife born 1854 Cheshire Carden. They married in 1873 in Nantwich Cheshire and are shown on the 1881 and 1901 census as living in Rostherne. Cheshire

Elizabeth Wragg born 1889 married Harry Orme born 1887 Knutsford Cheshire and the daughter Alice Winifed born 1910 Knutsford was my Nan.

Hope this helps

Lynda

Comment

HI
          no they do not link up with mine if you find them heading towards derbyshire let me know

Laura

Comment

If you're resarching in Cheshire, I hope you have this link:
            Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths

And these:
            UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census Transcriptions On-line for UK Family History and Genealogy
            UKGDL - Genealogical Directories and Lists On-line for UK Family History and Genealogy.
            Where you can select Cheshire from the Counties list and see what links they have.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Laura the Explorer View Post
              HI
              no they do not link up with mine if you find them heading towards derbyshire let me know

Laura
              My Wragge ancestors are from Yorkshire/Derbyshire
              Janet

please visit my blog http://2pdesignsfh.blogspot.co.uk/ ;)

Comment

Working...
              X