Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheshire census look up please

Hi everyone.

I am looking for a little help. My 3rd gr grandmothers marriage in 1833 was under the name of Sarah Heathcote. She was born wheelock, Sandbach, Cheshire and the family lived in Sandbach. Her husband Samuel Johnson died in 1866 and she then married a John Steel in 1867. This marriage states her father as James Moore, occupation smith. John Steels father is noted as deceaced whereas James Moore is not. I am presuming he is still alive and hope to find him upto the 61 cen at least.

Many thanks

Juelzee

Hi Julezee...was she born Sarah Wheelock or born in Wheelock,chesh ?...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

She was born in Wheelock. I thought she was born under Heathcote until yesterday when I received the marriage certificate. Probbily explains why I have not been able to find a baptism.

Juelzee

Comment

what name did she marry John Steel under ?...Johnson or Heathcote ?...added....allan
        Last edited by garstonite; 15-04-09, 11:33.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

She married John Steel under the name of Johnson in Congleton.

Comment

OK Julezee.....I have PM`d you....Samuel Johnsons death is on FreeBMD Home Page in 1866 Mar Qtr in Congleton Ref No 8a 245....seems he was born in 1814....is this the right man ???....allan
            ADDED...Found John SteelE marriage to Sarah johnson June qtr 1867 Congleton Ref No 8a 392....so Steele with an E not Steel...allan
            Last edited by garstonite; 15-04-09, 11:51.

Comment

Thanks Allan, I have your Pm. The link is not working?? The death you found is the right one. I have the census details for Samuel and Sarah Johnson and I have also looked up the marriage in the Parish records. It only gives minimum info. Date, bride and groom names and the wintnesses.

Juelzee

Comment

nudge

Comment

The second marriage shows up on Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths
                  1866 to 1870
                  Congleton, Civil Marriage Cheshire East

I'm not sure if there's anything else you're after, there?

Christine

PS welcome to the site!
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine and thanks for your input.

It is the census material I need for James Moore. If anyone can provide me with the details I would be most grateful.

Juelzee

Comment

I am working on a very old and slow laptop, so have concentrated on the 1851 census only. I've not been able to find a James Moor* old enough and in the right occupation anywhere in Cheshire.

Was she a spinster in 1833?

It could be that she didn't know if her father was alive and so he wasn't recorded as dec'd.

Comment

Do you have the birth cert of a child b after 1837 for your Johnsons? It's just that I noticed on the 1851 census there are two couples called Sarah and Samuel Johnson of similar ages living in Sandbach and I was concerned you have the right marriage for your couple.

Comment

Have you looked for others of her family, with whom he might be living in later years, if he isn't with her?

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine and Merry,
                            It is a couple of years since I last worked on this line and have only just got around to getting a few certificates for it. I am also begining to wonder if the first marriage is the right one.
                            My 2nd gr grandfather is a Mark johnson born to Samuel and Sarah in 1855. The 51 and 61 cen has the family living Old hall yard Sandbach and this is the address given on the marriage of Sarh to John Steele. The 71 has mark still with his mother but noted as Grandchild and they were living West Wood Congleton and this address is the one given on marks marriage in 1873.
                            I think I presumed That the marriage in 1833 was right as my familys first child was born in 1835, whereas the other familys first child was born 1837. It looks as if I may be wrong.
                            form another local website I have found a James and Sarah Moore aged 45 a blacksmith in warmingham which is part of Sandbach parish. So far I can not find a marriage for a Johnson/Moore

Juelzee

Comment

It looks as if I may be wrong.
                              form another local website I have found a James and Sarah Moore aged 45 a blacksmith in warmingham
                              At what date were they aged 45?

I think you need to get Mark's birth cert:

Births Jun 1855
                              Johnson Mark Congleton 8a 300

Comment

I have just tried to find the 41 cen again and for the life of me, I cannot remember where I found it. With James and Sarah moore there was an Ann aged 15 and emma 12. I think you are right, I will have to order Marks birth cert.

Juelzee

Comment

Is this some sort of coincidence? I'm not at all sure what it all means?

1851 census: Alsager, Cheshire:

James Moore wid 50 farmer 4 acres b Alsager
                                  Hannah Heathcote serv unm 53 housekeeper b Odd Rode (that's what it looks like!)
                                  Jane Moore dau unm 10 b Alsager

Then going back to 1841.....

1841 census Barthomley, Sandbach, Cheshire

James Moore 40 farmer Yes
                                  Ann Moore 11 Yes
                                  Peter Moore 8 Yes
                                  Elizabeth Moore 6 Yes

and then in the same building bt a separate household:

Hannah Heathcote 40 FS Yes
                                  Jane Heathcote 1 Yes
                                  Sarah Moore 10 Yes

So, I realise this James Moore has the wrong occ and is too young to be the father of someone born around 1811/12. It looks likely that Jane Heathcote in 1841 has morphed into Jane Moore by 1851 and presumably James Moore was having a relationship with Hannah Heathcote. I wonder who that Sarah Moore is who is with Hannah in 1841?

Probably just a co-incidence as I said, but wierd all the same!

Comment

Sorry Merry, Cleaning out the caravan and did not realise how much time had passed. I remember where I found the 41 transcript. It was on find my past. HO107/122/ 19-4 Unfortunatly they do not have the 51.

what you found could be just a coicidence as I think the name heathcote and moore are populare surnames for the area. Yes the village is called Odd Rode

Juelzee

Comment

this site may be helpful

http://www.odd-rode.org.uk/census/1861%20Hassall.pdf

Odd Rode Transcriptions
                                      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Working...
                                      X