Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Partner's Genealogy? Boring or Fascinating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Partner's Genealogy? Boring or Fascinating?

Redacted

I find my OH's family as interesting as mine Penelope ...... I just haven't got the same interest in pushing the boundries as I have with my own family. If he won't spend the money on certs .. I'm not going to.. I have gone back with his family into the 18th century but I don't put myself out a great deal.

However I find the families that move around the country .. more interesting than the families that stay in the same area for generations....I find them no challenge at all...I do like to have to hunt a little bit.

Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

It's not interesting enough to spend money on! We are related several generations back though, his brother has researched in the county record office and spent money on certs etc. If I thought my sons were in the least bit interested I might be tempted to be more thorough.

Comment

With both my tree and my OH's tree, I tend to find the branches that aren't easy to trace are the most interesting. The lines which stayed in the same area for generations (usually farmers or ag labs) and which you can relatively easily trace just by going through the parish registers, I find it difficult to remember who was who because each name wasn't in my mind for long enough, I suppose. But we each have some trickier lines, Scottish and Irish, and English ones who moved across the country, and I find the ones on his side as interesting as mine.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I find it pretty interesting. OH mother's family lived in Cardiff (where I live now) since 1860 and have connections to the Ship that Scott went to the Antarctic on. OH fathers family came from Germany in the late 1940's I haven't spent any money on research but if we had children I probably would!

Objectively it is more interesting than my family I suppose but I still love all my research for my boring people!
          Last edited by claretaylor22; 15-04-09, 11:32. Reason: Typo
          Clare

Comment

I've actually done more on OH's family than my own

That may be because I'm now living in the village that his family came from way back to the 1600's, and finding out where the various places they lived has helped me with the local geography. I didn't have to look far for where his grandma was born and where his great gradma died though - 20 yards down the street...

There's also the various interweavings of the family that fascinate me: OH's paternal grandfather was the 4th cousin of his paternal grandmother, his mother and his paternal grandmother are distantly related etc etc etc.

My own family are all very common names in the areas they are from and there's no way of working out who is who with any certainty. Having said that a cousin has taken one line back to 1587 and I have another line back to about 1660.
            Barbara

Comment

OH - privateers, sea captains, dauphin's companion, and a brewer's wife sho ran off to Paris to open up a brothel for the nobility. OH even has a cup which bears his family name in a Masonic lodge in Ireland and a gg grandfather who once owned half of Lille - (Wonder where the money went)?

My lot, zillions of them and no-one fantastically interesting.
              CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Not sure that I'd remain on a forum like this if I didn't find other people's families intensely interesting. Best mate has far more colourful ancestors than most of mine.

Different families present entirely different challenges. When I bump into friends at record offices, they are going down entirely different paths, looking at vastly different resources and that is what makes research an endlessly fascinating topic. I've always been grateful rather than otherwise that my ancestors are spread across a dozen counties as it provides me with holiday destinations for the next decade!
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

George's family history is soooooo much more interesting than mine, and I have become totally absorbed.

My Dad is complaining that I haven't learnt enough about his line, but I am stuck in Rutland with Ag labs, and can't seem to get back further than 1800 - very frustrating. But when Dad watches WDYTYA on tv he expects me to be able to trace his back in the same amount of time they do!!!!! He doesn't realise they have all the background people doing the legwork before the star actually arrives at a place. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Over the last few years we have tended to focus on either his or mine.
                    We visited Oxford where only his were there.
                    Luckily we both share relatives in Shropshire so both of us benefited from a visit there.
                    Sometimes something interesting pops up in his and I am happy to follow it.
                    But I must confess that carrying out my one-name study has taken over from either his or mine.
                    I had a contact the other day from my side with good information and found it difficult to get enthused about it.
                    I'm too excited chasing a Brewerton in Yorkshire at the moment!!
                    If it's to be, it's up to me.
                    Searching for:
                    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I find OH's ancestry just as interesting as mine..x
                      Last edited by Flora1966; 15-04-09, 13:23.

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

OH's tree is much smaller than mine, mainly because on his mum's side one of his grandparents can't be traced at birth and his dad was from Barcelona.

His London lot are the ones that are really interesting to me. They way they intermarry you would think they lived in a small village!

He also has a lot from a group of villages in the New Forest and another lot from a village in Staffordshire, but I've found them more difficult to get on with for some reason.

Comment

Hubby's is as interesting as mine. He is interested but just doesn't have time for research like me. it is a pity because there is nothing like a good search and coming up with interesting facts or even better still stories about ancestors. I think he misses out by getting "handed" his family.
                          Just a few days ago I solved a problem for a friend and I got quite a buzz. So other peoples trees and research can be just as interesting. Also sometimes I get to a stage where i am truly stuck with my tree so it is good try new avenues. Oh and I just love to start a new tree, especially here in Scotland with such good on-line records. I can go back generations, with verification from certificates, in just an evening.
                          herky
                          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I could do several trees that in one way or another relate to me,
                            birth family, adoptive family, ex wife (seeing as she is mother of my daughter) but the only other tree save for my birth family i can really get anywhere with is Mrs G's.

We haven't put a lot of life into any of the names as yet (and only on her fathers side) but have got back 9 generations, families throughout the Borders, Wick and quite a few as yet unknown places. One chap in particular was illegitimate but his baptism does name the father, as he has a name that goes both back and forth several generations from him he has been nicknamed "Robert the Bastard" so we then know we are talking about this particular Robert. That part of the family were shop keepers in a small village.

We do know the shop keeper occupation also comes in on her maternal side and there is also some military history on that side too, a great uncle for example, not a frontline RAF man but he did head out in a Lancaster on a mission and never made it back.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

he's as interested as I am, but I tend to do most of the work on both.

As in my own tree, some of his branches are fascinating & others you struggle to get any connection with. I've only got back as far as I have with mine through a stroke of luck. So far we only get to about 1800 on most of his. He's got far more illegitimate births too - it must be hereditary LOL

I could write a book about his gt grandmother's family. Come to think of it, it would be exactly the sort of thing Catherine Cookson wrote about - wonder if she knew her :D
                              Vicky

Comment

Redacted

Comment

I only recently started searching for my husbands ancestors.

His family when they came out to Tasmania farmed extensively in the one area for ever....infact are still there.

They have beaches and lagoons...and other land marks named after them...much to our younger sons delight.

I am not more attracted to his family.....but I sure do have more information and photos of them which tends to make them more alive to us...if you know what I mean.

Mine tree is a bit of a mess right now as I made a mistake about which Thomas Marshall was mine....and I was a bit disheartened by it all and have shelved my tree for a little hile.

Comment

I haven't started my OHs tree yet, although he has asked me. His roots are Irish and Polish... what chance to I have!!
                                    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

The challenge is to find the sources. My litigous ancestors (people mercifully separated from me by several hundred years) got up to all sorts of shenanigans and I've got he said, she said in the actual speech of the day. But the cataloguing is much better for the earlier period. There will be thousand upon thousand of people involved in just such cases which, because the index says Smith v Smith and doesn't mention any of the deponents, will be ignored by researchers.
                                      Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I find OHs just as interesting as mine - as all of our ancestors migrated here in the last 220 years, it was just as easy to do both together when I started. I was very jealous that he had the earliest and oldest migrants (1842 and 75 years old), until I found my gggg grandfather came out in 1838 at 74 years.

His orchardists and gardeners became horticulturalists of some note and politicians (mostly local govt, mayors etc), while my hotel keepers made the papers for all sorts of stories and also got into local councils, but most of the rest of both sides managed to stay out of the news!!

I just love collecting all the newspaper accounts of the goings-on on both sides, as well as the usual bmds, wills, census etc. I have made great contacts on both sides who tell me odd pieces of information that fit into the jigsaw and suddenly whole mysteries are solved.

I just wish I could find just one marriage in a small Berkshire village that linked our two sides of our family tree, before our marriage. I am also somewhat fascinated by the small Somerset village where my ggg grandfather married his second cousin once removed, as his great-grandmother and her grandmother were sisters.
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia
                                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                                        X