Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• were all men called to fight inWW1

hi,

as the title says were all men called to fight in WW1? my gt grandad would have been 34, he didnt have a set trade - was a housekeeper, gardener and general assisstant taken from 1901 and 1911 census and son/daugter birth certs and son marriage cert.

i have looked on ancestry but cant find any records linked to him.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

ww1

Can not answer your question , but a lot of records were distroyed by fire.
    i found some of mine by using electoral roll for absent voters 1917, but I had an address, if its local to you it might be worth a look.
    I found regiment and his number listed.
    I did not find the record had survived

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

It was volunteers only until 1916. Then conscription started and men were divided into catagories based basically on age and number of dependants. So if you were young and single you wenyt first and if you were older and had a wife and eight kids you might avoid going altogether. Then there were a few in reserved occupations etc etc.

Comment

ok thanks. they were living in kent in 1911 not near me really. his son was killed in 1918 in kent area, not got death cert yet (not that i think it will help on this issue).

he was married as i say and had 3 kids. i have a photo of him not in uniform etc but it gives the impression that he was a "very to do man" and seems the sort that would have fought etc if he had to.
        **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was reading a book only last week about the 'Pals Battalions' and apparantly there was a real reluctance, in the early years of the war, from the middle classes, to join up as they didn't want to serve at equal rank to socially inferior working class men. Tha pals battalions were set up partly to combat this so groups of professional men could join and fight together, 'amongst their own'. Conscription was introduced in 1916, as stated first for single men, than later married men, but apparantly very few were actually conscripted, most were exempted through reserved occupations, or unfit to fight etc.

Comment

Working...
          X