Help with transferring images to a DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with transferring images to a DVD

OH has bought me some DVDs so that I can transfer lots of images for my brother-in-law to upload onto a digital photo frame that we have bought for my sister's 60th birthday.

The problem is, I don't seem to be able to transfer the images.

I am using:

HP Photosmart C-6180 All-in-One with HP Photsmart Premier

I am trying to follow their instructions. I have put a DVD into the drive but it keeps on saying there is no disk in the DVD Writer.

It's with things like this I am completely flummoxed, and OH is no better than me! I used to rely on my younger daughter, but now she's moved out it's not so easy.

If anyone has any advice it would be most welcome! :o
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Are the discs labled as +R or -R?

Some burners have problems if the wrong type of DVD is put in.

And I am confused why you are telling us the copier/scanner that you use, when it is a DVD burner that you would be using
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 14-04-09, 21:49.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor, they have "DVD-R 120 mm/4.7 GB" on them. They are Sony.

OH specifically asked the shop assistant for disks for loading photos onto.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

That could be your problem, as I have a Dell Laptop with built in burner and it refuses to use DVD -R format discs.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Elizabeth

I had similar trouble back in February with my dvd drive, which I eventually replaced.

Checking on My Computer/rt click on dvd drive/properties/hardware, I had a message that the drive was operating correctly.

I have a Dell, and went through the whole rigmarole of Dell Diagnostics, which finally gave me a message that there was no dvd in the drive.

Posted on here for advice. Kate suggested that I try a cd or dvd I knew worked in case it was the disc, which unfortunately it wasn’t.

Trevor then, honestly, told me the drive was probably done for.

For the present, you could scan the photos to your hard drive, so that you have the copies ready. Then if the photo frame is not the sort that has a usb socket for a stick, but only a card, you could purchase a usb card reader (a multi slot one only costs about £2/£3), and transfer them from your hard drive for the frame.

That doesn’t solve your dvd drive, but if there is a deadline for the photoframe it would get you round that for the time being.

Hope this of some help.
          Carol

Comment

-R is the older type I think so if your computer is new it should take -R & +R
            But if its old it may only take -R

I would suggest getting Nero burning software, easy to use and theres a free trial Nero - Nero AG - Liquid Media to Simply Enjoy - Official Website

Comment

Trevor and Carole, many thanks for your help and explanations. I really don't think I will achieve anything myself. My brother-in-law is something of a computer buff (he used to design radar systems for airports!) so I might pass the buck to him!

My sister's birthday is next week and I want to give the frame and the CD or DVD to her together. THe photos range from really old family ones (great-great grandparents to the present time) and I have scanned all our wedding photos (brother, sister and me) from the 1970s and pictures of the children (all the cousins) when they were little.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Why not just burn them to a CD instead?

Researching:

Comment

Is that an easy procedure, Trevor? Would I have the same problems?
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Elizabeth

This is not a solution to your DVD/CD problem but we have a Digital photo frame and the photos are loaded onto a memory stick that plugs into the side of the frame... And it's really easy to add new photos to as well.
                    Sue

Comment

Hi Sue, and everyone else who has helped.

The problem is now resolved. I had a long conversation with my brother-in-law yesterday and the problem was where the images were stored.

I bought some CDs yesterday and I had the same problem in that using the Photosmart Premier programme it couldn't recognise the CD in the drive. So he suggested an alternative. After a while we found the images on the D: drive. He got me to open that up with the images in it, and then via My Computer the drive with the CD in it and I dragged them across. It just wouldn't work with the Photosmart software supplied with the printer.

Anyhow, I have now made up a CD with about 180 images. I'm leaving it to my sister and brother-in-law to decide which ones they want on the photoframe. That is why I didn't use a memory stick because they probably won't want them all on display, but at least she will have a copy.

I might do another CD if I have time before we go. I still have masses of photos to scan (my mum's albums) but at least I have done all the wedding ones and all the old family photos of grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents.

I bought OH a digital photo frame at Christmas and it is mega-simple to use, but for my sister it's not just the frame I want to give her but really all the family photos too. Then she can select the ones she wants on display.

Now to finish my article on Robert Heath.....
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                      X