Help! Banjaxed – any ideas, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Banjaxed – any ideas, please?

Where can I try? Any ideas how to find out about Mary Jacobine Kirk, born Alexandroffka, near Odessa, Ukraine, Dec 1866.

She was the eldest of the four children of James Kirk & Johanna Rahtz to be born in Russia. I have located the other 3 in 1911 census in London, BUT the eldest, Mary Jacobine (or Jakobina) has me stumped.

Kirk timeline
    1861 – James Kirk unmarried and managing his father’s farm in Norfolk – father died in 1862, everything to be sold and money divided amongst all his 14 children (They wouldn’t get much each.)
    1871 census no sign – family in Russia
    1876 birth of a daughter in Woolwich
    1879 & 1881– family in the Rheinland (2 children born Dusseldorf)
    1881 census no sign
    1884 - child born in London
    1891 census – no trace of mother, father or any of the 8 known children
    1890’s – James in reduced circumstances and working for his Rahtz brother-in-law, who had a coal retail business in Woolwich.
    1901 census – parents in Greenwich, with their 5 younger children. 1 other daughter located.
    1911 census – parents in Greenwich & 7 of their children located.

FreeBMD – can’t find either a death or marriage for Mary Jacobina

The family did travel, but I think they only popped backwards & forwards across the channel., rather than embarking on long distance voyages.

IF Mary Jakobina married and lived in Germany, are there any online records I can use? Any help or advice welcome.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Janet, in the GRO Consular Birth Indices 1849 to 1965 there are 3 Kirk births listed in Odessa.
    Alice Louisa KIRK 4 1115
    Mary Jacobine KIRK 4 1107
    William George KIRK 4 1109
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thankyou very much for that, Daphne.

That's "official" confirmation at last - The 4 Russian births I have are from IGI (extracted records) The IGI also has 2 births for Dusseldorf. All these tie in with census entries, both in date and location.

Except for Mary Jacobina, of course, who I can't find any other reference for.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 14-04-09, 19:33.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There's nothing coming up for her in the consular marriages :(
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thanks Daphne.

Would it be possible for you to see if there is a consular death?

I know from 1911 census that James & Johanna had 9 children in total and 1 died.
          I have only located 8 children so far, so there was another one, who I don't know about.
          But due to "gaps" between known children, I think the missing child could well have been born in London and died an infant.
          If Mary Jakobina died, I would have expected to find a surviving younger child "at home" in 1901, along with the other 5 younger ones.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet, there's a death for Mary Jacobine KIRK between 1866 and 1870 in Odessa the ref no. is hard to make out 4 111?
            Daphne

Comment

Daphne :D

Thanks so much for that - I think you've cracked it. That must be poor little Mary Jakobina, who died whilst still an infant.

So now, I've got to try and find the "missing" child, who must have reached adulthood

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Keep plodding away Janet, I only found the info because I had a few credits left for Find my Past after I found what I wanted from the 1911 census. I'd rather use them for someone else than loose them.
                Daphne

Comment

Daphne - thankyou again for your kindness.
                  I had presumed you had an all-in sub to FMP - had no idea you were using your credits.
                  I really do appreciate your time, trouble and generosity on my behalf.

You are a true star.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet you're welcome, I can't think of anything I needed them for so would have lost them and I couldn't bare to do that, :D
                    Daphne

Comment

Working...
                    X