BEWARE!

I just found this in my spam...

FROM THE DESK OF:
    MR. BERN CAMP
    MR. SONNY IBEH ASSOCIATE (ESQ)
    TEL: 234-703871639
    DIRECT EMAIL:

Dear Christine,

I am Barrister Sonny Ibeh, a solicitor at law. I am the personal attorney to late Mr. Leonard Keith Bennett, a national of your country, who used to work with Shell Petroleum Development Company in West Africa. Hereinafter shall be referred to as my client.

On the 21st of April 2003, my client, his wife and their only daughter were involved in a car accident. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost there lives. Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy here to locate any of my clients extended relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful. After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to track his last name over the Internet, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you.

I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the fund valued at US$5.5million left behind by my client before it gets confiscated or declared unserviceable by the AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (ADB), where this huge amount were deposited. The said BANK has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have the account confiscated within the next fourteen official working days.
    ...etc
    So someone has picked up the fact that Errant Grandfather + my Yahoo e-address go together!

They must have some kind of system for harvesting names & e-addresses from sites like this - or, rather, other online places where you might actually have to give your e-address explicitly!

BEWARE!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

O ye of little faith. A fortune for the asking (and a small contribution!).
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hmmm

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The really sad thing is that gullible & desperate people will happily give their details.
        Jay

Comment

OH's brother got one almost identical, except the car crash was in Hong Kong, and the 'solicitor' was trying to keep the money away from a Chinese bank.

Comment

:D

5.5 million US dollars!

These people are all nuts.

I don't get any of these emails well not yet.

Having said that even some reputable people resort to junk mail except its a little more tempting and accessible.

I get a load of old rubbish through my letterbox except they're from legitimate banks asking me if I want to remortgage my house or take a massive loan out! Well of course I do why not, whatever...

Comment

STUPID people will fall for this. Anyone who has ever dealt with solicitors knows that they do everything through snailmail. It's hard enough getting them to use a fax let alone email!

Mind you, I don't know why people think there is a recession. I've had several really tempting offers to help out with successful businesses, just by providing my bank details!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I had one like that 2 days ago, I didn't even finish reading it before I deleted it.
                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I had no trouble recognising it for what it was (it was already in the spam box) - it just offends me (why have I bothered to be offended? ) that they are seeking to prey on someone by harvesting facts and perverting them for their own nasty ends - a perverted version of those children's personalised books.

But even worse are the ones which offer a link for you to report such spam and recover some of your losses ... by providing your new bank details etc, of course! :(

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X