Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was everyone in the army?

If someone was born around 1820 were they automatically put in the army
    If so how do I find out where and when. In 1847 he was a carpenter so it would have been earlier
    Thank you
    Ann

As far as I know there was no general conscription at that time. Certainly none of my ancestors were in the army at that date.

Comment

No. The only occasion in modern times that we have had peacetime conscription was after ww2.

If he had been in the army at that period, go to TNA's site and search on his surname with WO 97 in the reference box. I think that should throw him up if he were discharged to a pension.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I think the first time people were conscripted was in 1916!

Comment

I had hoped that may have been the reason for him marrying in Dublin in 1847
          but I need to find another reason for him being in Ireland
          Thank you anyway
          Ann

Comment

I did hedge my bets & say peacetime, Merry!

I hate army research - it all seems so bitty & all over the place. Naval research has much more logical records & you can follow men much more easily. All the different regiments just do my head in.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

lol Phoenix!

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
              I had hoped that may have been the reason for him marrying in Dublin in 1847
              but I need to find another reason for him being in Ireland
              Thank you anyway
              Ann
              Just because there was no conscription doesn't mean he wasn't in the army!!

Comment

I think there was a great fear among the populous around the time of the Napoleonic War and afterwards about being invaded.

I do believe that many men were called up for the Militia and had to serve a year or two. Not sure whether it was everyone (excluding apprentices) or just a certain number by ballot.

(Reason I put excluding apprentices was because of riots against Militias mid 1800's where Parish Record Books were stolen so a list of eligible men couldn't be compiled - however it was mentioned many Vicars made a list and said they were all apprentices).

One of mine in 1812 in Angus was in the 11th British Militia and according to Militia paperwork there were around 1,000 men on the roll each year excluding NCO's and Officers.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Militia records are at Kew.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X