people change their names so easily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people change their names so easily

Just been going through some records of mine and I see that one Doris Gwendoline when married then changed her name to Irene Doris at her childrens baptisms.
    No wonder its so difficult to find some of them.
    Even my own father changed his name. Born under the name Pearson married under the name Smith;)

I don't have a lot of this happening in my tree, but when it does the whole bloomin' twig or branch are at it! lol

On a slightly different tack, I even have one family with a child called Violet Gladys in 1901 aged 4, who fits with her birth reg, but by 1911 she has become two people, Violet aged 16 and Gladys aged 14!! Haven't worked that out yet!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
      I don't have a lot of this happening in my tree, but when it does the whole bloomin' twig or branch are at it! lol

On a slightly different tack, I even have one family with a child called Violet Gladys in 1901 aged 4, who fits with her birth reg, but by 1911 she has become two people, Violet aged 16 and Gladys aged 14!! Haven't worked that out yet!!!!!
      In 1901 and earlier the Census was taken by a clerk who asked the householder the questions and wrote down the answers answers as he heard them.

This explains the many different spellings of surnames that really only settled when the householder filled in his own form in 1911.

It also explains why some records of the children (particularly of large families) got muddled. The Householder was probably trying to answer the questions with his wife and children putting in their fourpenn'orth over his shoulder. No wonder the clerk got a bit confused from time to time!

If you get the opportunity, many schools in rural areas kept their old records or put them in the local Archive department. These may list the children who attended so you could compare Census records of 1901 and 1911 to the School records in between? We were very lucky a few years ago to find that the school in Butts Green, Lockerley Hampshire had done a Millenium Project which contained records and a photo of my wife's ancestor in 1871 to 1881 and his family. He was the Headmaster and lived in the School House!

Comment

Think I may have shared this one before:
        Nicholas was born 1891, his twin Albert Ernest died.
        1901 census Nicholas is at home with parents, under correct name
        1911 census he was with his sister and her husband, and using the name Albert
        1915 he was killed in action in Belgium and is remembered on the CWGC website under the name Herbert
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by John Patrick View Post
          In 1901 and earlier the Census was taken by a clerk who asked the householder the questions and wrote down the answers answers as he heard them.

This isn't quite correct. The numerator delivered individual household schedules prior to census night. The householder was to complete their individual household schedules recording who was in their household during the period Sunday night to Monday morning. On the morning after census night, the census enumerators collected the household schedules. If these were not completed properly, the census enumerator was supposed to ask for extra details at the doorstep. If the householder was unable to fill in the schedule, perhaps because he or she was illiterate, the census enumerator was to fill it in for them. In this last case the situation would be as John described. I guess if his attention wandered the enumertor copying the info from the household schedules into the enumerators book, which is what we see for 1841-1901, could have amalgamated the details of two people as one.
          Last edited by JudithM; 14-04-09, 11:53.

Comment

Erm, no he didn't!

The householders were always given a householders schedule and they were supposed to complete it themselves. Most did, or had the help of friends, family or neighbours.

The enumerator collected the householders forms and used them to complete the census sheets we see today. The original householders schedules were destroyed, except for the 1911 ones.

Comment

At least you get a shot at reading the census in the UK......what about us????

My g grandmother, baptised Josepha, married as Sophia (as she was on all her children's birth certs) and buried as Josephine. Her maiden name changed from Dettrick to Deitrich with every combination in between.

Comment

Snap Merry. Wish I could remember the referencebut someone on GR once posted up a ref. for their family's household schedule for 1881 I think, which appeared to have been bound into the enumerator's book. I guess he had got tired of copying out the details :D

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                  Snap Merry. Wish I could remember the referencebut someone on GR once posted up a ref. for their family's household schedule for 1881 I think, which appeared to have been bound into the enumerator's book. I guess he had got tired of copying out the details :D
                  I had forgotten about that Judith, but you've reminded me. Yes, I agree it was the 1881 census.

Here's an 1881 census householders schedule made into a table mat with some additional artwork!

Google Image Result for http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3091675.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=552D90A84D8CF98 00F7A8379894718D3A55A1E4F32AD3138

Comment

Working...
                  X