has anyone ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone ever?

Has anyone ever compared their surname records found on FMP to those records found on Ancestry. I did last evening and I was quite surprised that FMP had no records of my surname in the 1851 census but I have found details in 1851 on Ancestry.
    The reseason I did this was because I am thinking of registering my surname with GOONS. It is an unusual name and I have quite a collection of information not just on my direct tree but on side lines as I love to see where all the Burwash names I find connect to my tree. I use Ancestry all the time I wanted to see if there was further information I could gain from FMP. I just thought it was strange that I compared the same records and the results were different.
    GWEN

They are different because the transcriptions have been done independently! I often find people on findmypast who refused to appear on Ancestry, though often with the benefit of knowing their exact age from FMP etc I find them on Ancestry with some gross transcripion error :(:D

Comment

The Findmypast 1851 census only covers Dorset and Norfolk. Other counties have not yet been transcribed.
      Elaine

Comment

Merry do you think it is worth becoming a member of FMP?
        I am seriously considering joining as I might benefit what I dont find on Ancestry I might find on FMP and vice versa. You obviously find both sites useful.
        GWEN

Comment

Thanks Elaine I did not realise that as I do not use FMP at all at the moment.
          GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
            Thanks Elaine I did not realise that as I do not use FMP at all at the moment.
            And I did know but had forgotten! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
              Merry do you think it is worth becoming a member of FMP?
              I am seriously considering joining as I might benefit what I dont find on Ancestry I might find on FMP and vice versa. You obviously find both sites useful.
              I would like to belong to both, but can't afford that, so would have to decided once they have all the census.

In the past the quality of FMP images was grotty but I don't know if they are better now? A long time ago I replaced all my old FMP pages with Ancestry copies.

Comment

I like the Geneologist - I find their transcriptions for the censuses considerably better than either FMP or Ancestry and the forename finder and street finders brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by champagnegal View Post
                  I like the Geneologist - I find their transcriptions for the censuses considerably better than either FMP or Ancestry and the forename finder and street finders brilliant.
                  Has anything happened about them questioning what lookups you do?

Comment

not as far as I know - I certainly do quite a few look ups and nobody has questioned anything I do so far

Comment

Maybe they have changed their policy? In the past they seemed ready to sue people for doing lookups for others (one of their terms and conditions is that you don't do lookups for others).

If they were suspicious, you had to be able to prove everyone you had looked up appeared on your tree by sending tham a gedcom!! Daft, as you might need to look up certain names to prove to yourself they were NOT your relatives!

I fell out with them after I offered to transcribe for them in return for free access to parts of their site. After I'd done a load of work they changed the boundaries, saying I could only have free access to the stuff I had transcribed, at which point I stopped transcribing! lol

Comment

That's ridiculous !!

The moment anybody asks me what I am looking at will be the moment I cancel

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          Maybe they have changed their policy? In the past they seemed ready to sue people for doing lookups for others (one of their terms and conditions is that you don't do lookups for others).

If they were suspicious, you had to be able to prove everyone you had looked up appeared on your tree by sending tham a gedcom!!
                          That is outrageous. I have been researching people on a war memorial for some time, and am obviously not related to the vast majority of them. Doesn't equate to "doing lookups for others".

On another point, I do think FMP are less than honest about the shortcomings of their census coverage. When you look at their subscription info page, it implies that all the censuses are complete. What a con. I would be extremely annoyed if I took out a sub, only to discover that 1851 only comprised two counties. Two! It's pretty poor. (I only found this out when I tried doing a search for someone I couldn't find on Ancestry. I had been considering a change as my Ancestry sub was about to expire, but no thanks.)

Comment

FMP will get a lot of new subs when they make the 1911 part of their packages.

I currently have both but I use ancestry far more than FMP. The sub is going to expire soon and I don't think I'll renew until they include the 1911.
                            Kit

Comment

I have subscription to the Geneologist and have found some horrendous errors that I only pick up on because I know the area, for example in one census they have an address as 'West Street, Langport', now I know that there isn't a West Street in Langport, it is in Somerton, but someone from away probably wouldn't know that so they could be looking in quite the wrong place for future relatives.

Margaret
                              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                                FMP will get a lot of new subs when they make the 1911 part of their packages.
                                I think they got a lot of new subs around Christmas as a result of their grossly misleading advertising, which implied that 1911 would be included. Of course it's emerged since that people will have to pay a supplement to access 1911. And still no announcement of prices!

It stinks.

Comment

I'm having trouble with Ancestry so I'm browsing the forums looking for info about alternatives. I was considering FMP but now I have doubts. Seems to me they are all just after our money!!!
                                  Alison

Comment

Of course they have to make enough money to keep going, but I don't think it's fair to say they are all just after our money. Lookups are free on findmypast and ancestry; you only have to pay to view results or images (and ancestry has lots of databases which are free to view as well.) Both sites are constantly adding more content so of course they need money to pay for it. Findmypast have said there will be a discount for existing subscribers upgrading to the new sub that will include the 1911.
                                    And don't forget that on both sites, and on the Genealogist as well, you can buy pay-as-you-go credits if you don't want / can't afford a subscription.
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I am extremely pleased to report that i finally got Ancestry back tonight, after a whole day playing around with my computer I managed to get it up and working again. it is still not perfect, my new wireless router still says i'm connected while my computer says I'm not (!!!) but as it is letting me in now, I am not going to do anything more to it - just cross my fingers and get on with it as long as I can. Now I just have to decide whether or not I will upgrade my Ancestry to access all these records I am now denied.
                                      Alison

Comment

Working...
                                      X