Hungary birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungary birth

I have recently found my grandmother's elder brother - had no idea about him until now - dob 1888. On the 1891 census he is living with his grandparents in Cheltenham and his place of birth is shown as Hungary. I have no idea why his parents would have been there and have been trying to find his birth details.

His father was a stud farm manager and I can only think that they went out there with his employer.

I have checked the Foreign birth records via Ancestry and found nothing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Anne

I assume its James M. Spire? The image clearly says Hungary (British subject). Have you found his parents in 1891 or is it possible they were still in Hungary?

I wonder if you could find ships' passengers' records which might show when his parents went there and when he came back.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 13-04-09, 16:36.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Can't find anything for Spire in the Overseas Births on familyrelatives.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, Nell - that's him. His parents are in Newmarket, where they all lived, I presume he was visiting his grandparents at the time of the census.

I've had a very brief browse through the passenger lists - maybe I need to have a better look.

John, I couldn't find him there either. It doesn't help that the family name is sometimes spelt differently either - but more in the earlier census. By this time it is always Spire.

Thank you both for having a look

Sadly, he died at the age of 8.

Comment

Working...
        X