Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this my GGGGP's wedding taken out in the Edinburgh Ad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this my GGGGP's wedding taken out in the Edinburgh Ad?

I came across this earlier today and knowing what I know of family names, it seems likely that I could well be looking at the marriage of my GGGGP's.

The notice appears to have been published on 9th October 1829 and appears to say

At Dalesmock, Glasgow on 2nd June Robert Thomson Surgeon to Isabella eldest daughter of the late Adam Spence, Louth is this a marriage? Can anyone look up the full report.

I think these could be the parents of Robert and Isabella Thomson born in London. I know its dangerous to take a leap of faith and say there is a definite link. I do know from the 1841 census that Isabella Thomson Snr was 70 and her daughter (Roberts sister Isabella 36) was also living with them ref HO107/684/6.

I don't know whether there has been a mistake with the report dates in the newspaper, whether they are somehow related with my line, but I find it really strange and your input would be appreciated.

What newspaper was it in?
    Margaret

Comment

I found it in Ancestry under Edinburgh Advertiser published 9th October 1829.

It occurs to me that Isabella Jnr was my Robert's wife, not his sister and her mother was also called Isabella (or I am not thinking logically).
      Last edited by LorraineJ; 13-04-09, 14:39.

Comment

Hi
        From Scotlandspeople's OPR's the marriage took place on 2nd October 1829.
        Moggie

Comment

Can I beg another favour, can we see whether there is a marriage between Isabella and Adam Spence, to either prove or disprove my theory, under Scotlandspeoples OPR

Comment

Hi
            Extracted record from the IGI
            Marriage of a Robert Thomson & Isabella Spence 2nd Oct 1829 Barony, Lanark.
            Moggie

Comment

Hi,
              I just had a look on Scotlandspeople and the marriage took place on 2 October (not June) 1829.

However looking at the 1841 census the age for Robert gives a year of birth as c1802 so his parents would have been married at that point or earlier. The sister Isabella was born c1805.

I can't see how this marriage can be parents of Robert and Isabella.

Margaret

Comment

The Robert Thomson who is the head of household containing 70 year old Isabella in 1841 is a Baker, not a surgeon
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Hi
                  There are 2 Adam Spence marriages between 1780-1810 on Scotlandspeople but there is no way of working out the name of the spouse without getting credits for the site.
                  Moggie

Comment

My honest opinion is this is a wide leap of faith. The only connection to Sotland apparently is Isabella who is aged 70 in 1841.

Everyone else in the household is born in Middlesex including Isabella Thomson (the younger) who was born c1810

Robert Thomson, who may or may not be her son, was born in Surrey (this is from teh 1851 census)

Is there any other proof of a connection with Scotland or that the Spence name is connected too?
                    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

From the 1841 census the wife seems to be A Thomson and by 1851 she is dead, but not long as the youngest child is 6 months. I believe Robert remarries as I can see him in 1881 with wife Eliza and he is retired baker.

I agree that it is a wide leap to pluck a marriage out and try to link it back. You need to find Isabella senior's birth or maybe death records to see what you can find out about her and possible name of her husband. The marriage for Robert to first wife might give his father's name but as it is most likely pre Civil Registration (his eldest child is 4 in 1841) so may not be shown.
                      Margaret

Comment

These are probably (some of) the children of the couple in the paper who married in 1829

JESSIE SPENCE THOMSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Female Birth: 18 NOV 1832 Dundee, Angus, Scotland

JAMES DUNCAN THOMSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Male Christening: 24 FEB 1831 Barony, Lanark, Scotland

ISABELLA DUNCAN THOMSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Female Birth: 23 JUN 1834 Dundee, Angus, Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          From the 1841 census the wife seems to be A Thomson and by 1851 she is dead, but not long as the youngest child is 6 months. I believe Robert remarries as I can see him in 1881 with wife Eliza and he is retired baker.

I agree that it is a wide leap to pluck a marriage out and try to link it back. You need to find Isabella senior's birth or maybe death records to see what you can find out about her and possible name of her husband. The marriage for Robert to first wife might give his father's name but as it is most likely pre Civil Registration (his eldest child is 4 in 1841) so may not be shown.
                          Margaret
                          She was born Amelia Atherton and died I believe in late 1850. What you have discovered about the 1881 census is progress. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X