• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purinater??

I'm looking at a Passenger List on Ancestry

- Ancestry.co.uk

The chap is Edward Westlake.

Is "purinater" correct, and if so what is it?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Could it be Purolator which is something to do with oil filters?

Janet

Comment

He came from "Columbia S.A." which is I guess Colombia. I can only think there was a clash of accents with the purser. Purinater makes no sense to me.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        He came from "Columbia S.A." which is I guess Colombia. I can only think there was a clash of accents with the purser. Purinater makes no sense to me.
        I'm glad you said that, Uncle John!

He was out there for a while as I find him and his wife and children going out there together. He came from Lancashire. However, I have decided that he isn't the Edward Westlake I was investigating. :(
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I think I mistyped the word and that it should be

Purinarter

However it still doesn't make sense!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

I should think whoever typed up the passenger list misread the handwritten notes.

Comment

If you want to try a very wild guess what about something to do with animal feed or waste. Purina is the Spanish for purine which is a chemical compound and it is necessary to remove it from waste matter so that it doesn´t polute the water system. There´s something at the back of my mind about it being added to animal feeds - Purina is a well known brand, isn´t it? How you would get from that to ¨purinator¨ , I don´t know.
              Pam

Comment

Working...
              X