PDA

View Full Version : Strange Wills

Bo the Bodger
13-04-09, 10:00
Has anybody received a will that has made them blink?

I have recently got the will of a cousin (who my mother has always described as "odd"). I read the first page and had to put it down.........

para 3 instructs the attending Dr to to be paid £5 to cut her jugular vein to ensure that she is dead! :eek:

Anne in Carlisle
13-04-09, 10:02
Aaaargh! It seems a bit odd though - I wouldn't have thought the will would be the first thing they turned to as she popped her clogs! Maybe several days later when it would be pretty obvious anyway!

Anne

claretaylor22
13-04-09, 10:13
I think it's common that people want to have someone make sure they are dead! I've come across it a few times. Similar in someways to the things the Victorian did to ensure people weren't buried alive!:)

Jill on the A272
13-04-09, 10:41
I've got a similar clause in a will made in 1933 by Walter Edward Crisp

"I direct my Trustees to cause a Doctor or Surgeon as soon as convenient after my death has been certified to commit a surgical act upon my body that shall secure the certainty of my death and my Trustees shall pay any reasonable sum for such service"

He had trained as a doctor so I expect he had heard all sort of horror stories during his training (though he spent most of his life working as a leather factor). The bulk of his £17,000 estate was left to Guys Hospital.