The first name Nymphia??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first name Nymphia??

I have a marriage between a John EAGLE and Nympha Marshall ( I got it wrong on the thread title) on the IGI 19 Aug 1817 in Boston, Lincs. batch M011331

On the 1841 census she appears to be Ann. HO107; Piece 608; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Kirton; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 54; Page: 15; Line: 23; GSU roll: 438752.

Is this the same person do you think? I have never come across the name Nymphia before.
    Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 12-04-09, 21:27.

Oh heck I just googled and got this:

Nymphae is another name for the LABIA MINORI

:o

I did wonder about Nymphomaniac

Comment

Latin renderings of ladies' rude bits doesn't stop them being modded!
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I am no longer surprised by any name parents have given to their children - there seems to be no limit on imagination, bad taste or any other propriety.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Nympha (Ninfa), was a 5th century virgin Christian martyr from Palermo.

Maybe her parents were of Italian descent ???

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
            [SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]
            On the 1841 census she appears to be Ann. HO107; Piece 608; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Kirton; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 54; Page: 15; Line: 23; GSU roll: 438752.

Is this the same person do you think? I have never come across the name Nymphia before.
            Qute likely with an odd name that she preferred to be known as Ann but equally possible I suppose that Nympha died and Ann was John's second wife.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              Qute likely with an odd name that she preferred to be known as Ann but equally possible I suppose that Nympha died and Ann was John's second wife.
              Yes Judith, I would think both are possible.

Comment

There are four baps on the IGI children of John and Nymphia between 1817 and 1827 in Kirton in Holland.

The same parish is on the NBI 1813-1900, but there's no burial for Nymphia.

There are burials for Ann and John though!

John 17th May 1874 aged 81
                Ann 6th May 1879 aged 82

Kirton in Holland seems to be covered for baps on the IGI for the period but there's no bap for a Nymphia or Ann Marshall around the required date. :(

Comment

There are no baps for children of John and Ann.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    There are four baps on the IGI children of John and Nymphia between 1817 and 1827 in Kirton in Holland.

The same parish is on the NBI 1813-1900, but there's no burial for Nymphia.

There are burials for Ann and John though!

John 17th May 1874 aged 81
                    Ann 6th May 1879 aged 82

Kirton in Holland seems to be covered for baps on the IGI for the period but there's no bap for a Nymphia or Ann Marshall around the required date. :(

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    There are no baps for children of John and Ann.
                    Yes, I have those.

I'm trying to do my niece's husbands tree. He will laugh at the name Nymphia.

Comment

Solved it!

Nympha and Ann are the same person. On the 1871 census she is listed as Nimthey. Close enough I reckon.

RG10; Piece: 3333; Folio: 52; Page: 13

Comment

lol!!

Comment

Working...
                        X