Was Amelia Robert's mother too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Amelia Robert's mother too

I have been looking at the information I have got on my GGGM Amelia Thomson in connection with the 1841 census and am wondering whether anyone can tell me whether Robert Jnr is her son too.

In the 1841 census Robert Thomson Snr is 39 and Amelia is 27. Under the marriage index they were married Q3 St Olave Southwark in 1840. Now we have a big BUT, in the 1841 census we have a Robert Thomson who is 4 and a William aged 2. I know that William is my GGF as I have his birth certificate and Amelia is down as his mother and it looks like he was illegitimate. Robert Jnr is a puzzle, was Robert Snr married before, as leaving it a couple of years to make an 'honest woman' seems odd. Another possible explanation could be that Robert Snr finished an apprenticeship in this time, or was there some kind of conflict.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 12-04-09, 16:55.

Hi Lorraine, can you provide the ref no for the 1841 census so we can have a look.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hope this is the information you need, HO107/684/6

Also, I need help finding Robert Jnrs birth and I assume he had died by 1851 as he isn't in the return reference HO107/1493
      Last edited by LorraineJ; 12-04-09, 17:46.

Comment

I'm having a look...
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Is this the 1851 census you mean? HO107; Piece: 1493; Folio: 126; Page: 5; Amelia isn't on it, is that correct?

Robert Thomson 41
          William Thomson 11
          Albert Thomson 8
          Henry Thomson 6 Mo
          Emma Thomson 6
          Jules

Comment

Have you found the birth index for Robert Jnr?
            Jules

Comment

I haven't found Robert's birth or death index (I assume he died). Amelia Thomson died in Dec 1950, I would assume this had something to do with Henry's birth bearing in mind his age). Thats definitely the right census for 1851.

Amelia and Robert Snr and Jnr were both in the 1841 census HO107/684/6. I am wondering whether there was some kind of epidemic around that time that Robert Jnr and Amelia succumbed to.

Comment

Working...
              X