Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2008 not working - any ideas?

hi,

i have tried to open a GEDcom in FTM 2008 and get an error message saying it cant open the file as ftm has encountered a problem and needs to close. i then get the option of sending error report or not.

i have completely un-installed FTM 2008 and tried to re-install it, it gets half way and tells me it cant read from the source.

does this mean my disc is no use?
    any ideas please

i can open the GED in FTM 2006 but i didnt really want to use this edition.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I know you have probably tried this, but the only suggestion I can offer is to try and clean the disc with a glasses cleaning cloth, start from inside and work outwards. good luck

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

tried that and started the re-install and then came up with the same error message

Comment

Is there any way you can get access to another computer to see if it will load on that one. This should prove if the problem is with the disc or if something is stopping it loading on to your computer.sorry i cannot be more help

ALAN

Comment

borrowed the lady down the roads version of ftm 08 and we get the same message, so i am guessing its something on pc, but OH has no idea of what. i really dont want to turn pc back in time.

i am going to try it on laptop and see if it works on there.

Comment

well it works on laptop, so my pc is the problem. thanks for ideas though

Comment

After uninstalling FTM try rebooting the PC before trying the re-install.
              Best Wishes
              Ron
              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

well it was working on laptop last night. this morning it is giving me the same error message that i got on main pc yesterday. so it has been un-installed on all systems.

OH went to PCworld and bought the FTM2009, i installed it, and got the same error message as i got with 2008 on both machines. so again it has been uninstalled and pc re-started. he then took it back and swapped it for WDYTYA, (which i didnt realsie is the same as FTM 2008) until i tried to install it and again got the same message.

this is really starting to annoy me.

my pc is up to date on virus protection and such so its not a bug or nasty on pc.

Comment

If you haven't already done so, might be worthwhile seeing if there is anyone with similar problems on the FTM Forum.
                  You could also post a message - they have a resident "expert" Russ Worthington who is very helpful.

Family Tree Maker Installation Forum
                  Elaine

Comment

- or have a look at this

Answer
                    Elaine

Comment

thanks elaine, OH has followed what it says and we are still getting the same message. we have done a system restore now and still nothing.

2006 still works though, which makes no sense. i want to scream. i'm back where i was last summer with my only tree on ancestry online.

Comment

I think there may be some files being left behind in the REGISTRY.

Try this but be careful and follow these instructions exactly.

Back up all your data to disk.

Uninstall FTM from Control Panel, Add & Remove programs, now check that any files have not been left behind in the REGISTRY.

Click START, RUN then type this into the box, REGEDIT. Click OKAY

Click on the + sign by the side of HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then click on the + sign by the side of SOFTWARE, look in the list and see if there is an entry named MY FAMILY.COM, or FAMILY TREE MAKER, if there is click it once to highlight it then press the DELETE key on your keyboard.

Repeat the above process by clicking on the + sign by the side of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Repeat the process under HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG and remove the entry for FAMILY TREE MAKER PRINTER.

Open MY COMPUTER, open MAIN DRIVE usually C, open PROGRAM FILES, delete any folders called Family Tree Maker.

Restart the PC and try the re-install again. If this works you will have to re-install your data from the back up CD by saving it from the CD first to your hard drive and opening it from there into FTM.
                        Best Wishes
                        Ron
                        www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

i dont have my tree on it, its gone. the only thing i have is the gedcom i downloaded from ancestry yesterday. will get OH to try what you say above.

Comment

Amy - are you sure your data file has gone. It should still be on your computer even though you may have deleted the program.

If you were using FTM2009 then do a search for a file with a *.ftm extension.
                            If you were using FTM2006 then search for a file with *.ftw extension.
                            Elaine

Comment

2006 bits are there but there is nothing for 2008.

OH has just followed the above and done it and we got the same message when we re-installed it. i'm begining to think i need to go for a whole new "programme" not a variant of FTM.

Comment

Still following your problem, have you thought about downloading the free version of Legacy just so you have a progrramme for the time being that you can work from

ALAN

Comment

Originally posted by alan 128 View Post
                                  Still following your problem, have you thought about downloading the free version of Legacy just so you have a progrramme for the time being that you can work from
                                  didnt know you could get a free version of legacy. i said to OH a few mins ago i am going to take WDYTYA back to pcworld and get a refund and look into legacy or something but didnt know how much or where from.

Comment

Amy, click on the Legacy or PAF links just above the top of your first post on this thread. It will take you to the relevant wiki page where you will find the link where you can download either program.
                                    Elaine

Comment

thank you.

Comment

I have ftm2009 but incase it went wrong i also use
                                        Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software: Step 1: Download Legacy as a back up it saves having to go on line to work. it does not have all the extras the the paid version does but its fine.

ALAN

Comment

Working...
                                        X