Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to find marriage please

Hi folks,

Can anyone find a marriage for either Florence Morton born 1870 or Anne Morton born 1874, hopefully to a man by the name of Burton. Most likely to have been in the Sheffield area,possibly Eccleshall Bierlow.

On the 1911 census record for my Great Grandfather there are two Grandchildren mentioned, a Stanley Burton aged 11 and an Ann Burton aged 6,
    I am trying to find out whether they are the children of either Ann or Florence as I am certain that they are not from his second marriage.

Have tried freebmd but no success.

If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

Hartist

Where was Stanley born? He should be on the 1901 census, perhaps with his parents.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Scuda,

I cannot find Stanley on the 1901 census. Would think he was born in either 1899 or 1900.

Hartist

Comment

Hartist,

What we need to know is Stanley's birthplace as given in 1911. Then we can look for him in 1901.

scuda

PS Sorry if I didn't make myself clear earlier.
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
          Where was Stanley born? He should be on the 1901 census, perhaps with his parents.

scuda

As far as I can see, Stanley wasn't born in Yorkshire, so not knowing is making this a very hard mystery to solve!

Comment

Hi,

The 1911 census entry shows Stanley's birth place as Parish of Norton, Derbyshire.

Thanks for the interest in this problem.

Hartist

Comment

Hmmm.....Norton is in Ecclesall Bierlow district, but I can't see a birth reg for him there, nor can I see him on the 1901 census. :(

Comment

This is the only birth of a Stanley that I can see in the right area, but the age is wrong:

Births Jun 1904
                Burton Stanley Ecclesall B. 9c 455

Do you have the transcription or the image of the 1911 census?

Comment

I've not had any luck with a Mor(e)ton/Burton marriage that fits any time up to 1911. Maybe it wasn't a first marriage for Ann or Florence?

Comment

No, forget that, there's a Stanley Burton aged 7 living in Ecclesehall Bierlow in 1911, who probably matches that birth.

Comment

I've just realised that Fred Morton was a widower in 1881, so could these children be the grandchildren of Sarah Ann?

Comment

Hi

Sarah Ann's maiden name was Outram, she was twenty years younger than Fred and was only married once.

Hartist.

Transcription image to follow if I can work out how to do it!!!

Comment

Hi

Hope this works.

This is the image from the 1911 census for Fred Moreton + family.

Hartist
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi
                            Update on this post, I have found both Florence and Anne on 1901 and 1911 census - they are both single and working as Domestic Servants. Do you think it is possible that they had these 2 children and gave them the father's name without necessarily getting married? Also I know Eccleshall Bierlow was part of the parish of Norton but were there any other parts that Stanley and Ann could have been registered in? Still cannot find any record of these births/baptisms.

Hartist

Comment

Where are they working as domestic servants? that might have some bearing on where the children were registered.
                              In case the children weren't born exactly in Norton but a bit outside it, you could try Yorkshire, West Riding as parts of Eccleshall Bierlow registration district have, at various times moved between there and Derbyshire.

see here http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...20bierlow.html

Comment

Hello GallowayLass,

In 1901 Florence was working in 227,Derbyshire Lane, Norton. Anne was in Nether Hallam, Sheffield. The eldest child was born in 1899/1900 so wasn't living with his mother in 1901.

Comment

Working...
                                X