Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!! - Rose Bowers b1874 Lincolnshire

Hi
    I am trying to find entries for my GGM Rose Harrod (formerly Bowers) c1874.
    She appears in the 1901 & 1911 census both times in Dover under the surname Harrod but I cannot find her before 1901.
    In 1911 her birthplace is shown as Sutton St James which is near(ish) Boston in Lincolnshire. In 1901 it is shown as Lincolnshire Sydd which I believe could be Tydd which is also near Boston.
    Her husbands family all come from Freiston which is also near Boston and they definately moved to Dover. So from 1901 onwards I am happy.

I can find two Rose Bowers prior to 1901 born around 1874 but they both come from the Humber area of Lincolnshire (Winterton and Glanford Brigg).

Bowers is shown as her former surname of my Grandfathers birth certificate so I know it is right.

All I can think is that she was born in Glanford Brigg workhouse and moved and changed her past.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Allan....do you have Rose's marriage certificate for her father's name and occupation?
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Hi Jeanette
      I have searched but I can't even find their marriage.

Comment

Which might suggest she went by a different surname???

What was Mr Harrod's first name please?
        Jeanette

Comment

Hi, he was Fred William Harrod, born c1864.
          There are a few Freds in that period and the name Mary Goulding keeps cropping up which is the wrong wife.

Comment

I'm still looking Allan whilst making sarnies for the kids
            Jeanette

Comment

Does the 1911 census tell you how long they had been married?

scuda
              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Allan, have you found any of the Bower family on the 1881 census? The only ones I've come across so far are from Spalding and they are not the right family

EDIT* Spalding isn't that far from Tydd.
                Last edited by JulesSmith; 12-04-09, 13:02.
                Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Good question Scuda. Just checked and it says 18. makes it 1893?

Comment

What are her parents names? Any any siblings you know of.
                    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hi Jules
                      I have nothing else on her.

Comment

Your Rose isn't on here, but are these your family?
                        Watson Bowers 35
                        Mary Ann Bowers 30
                        John Henry Bowers 11
                        Tom Bowers 10
                        Walter Luke Bowers 7
                        Ada Ann Bowers 6
                        Emma Bowers 4
                        Jane Bowers 3
                        Rose Ellen Bowers 1

1891 Class: RG12; Piece: 2566; Folio 7; Page 7;
                        Jules

Comment

Hi Jules
                          I wondered that but questioned having 2 children called Rose in the same family.

Comment

When was your grandfather born? I am wondering if she was previously married and Bowers is a married name
                            Jules

Comment

My Grandfather was also Fred William and was born on 27th May 1895. Registered at St James in Dover, Kent.
                              His Siblings were Dorothy c1894, John c1900, Alfred c1902, Isibella c1907.

Comment

Hmm this woman definately doesn't want to be found prior to her marriage to Fred Harrod. I've tried every search combination I can think of. Will try to find birth I think and see if that throws up anything...
                                Jules

Comment

Have you got deaths for Fred & Rose, as I see there is a Fred W Harrod died Sept 1929 Dover aged 67 and also a RHODA Harrod died Mar 1932 Dover aged 59. Maybe Rose was short for Rhoda ???

Carolyn
                                  :D Carolyn

Comment

This is the only Bowers birth listed for Boston
                                    Elizabeth Ann Bowers 1874 Apr-May-Jun Boston Lincolnshire

So it's possible like you said before, that she comes from Glanford Brigg district.

Nothing else looks remotely close.

sorry I haven't been much help Allan.
                                    Jules

Comment

There's a Rhoda Ann Bowers age 7 in Tydd with her family in 1881, which would fit that death.

scuda
                                      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi, no I have got dates of death but Rhoda's age seems good.

Comment

Working...
                                        X