Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Family

HI

I'm looking for any information of Jackson family who lived in Brandon and Byshottles County or Waterhouses in the late 19th century.

hi,

i have irish jacksons that were living in west rainton not far from brandon and byshottles.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi

Thanks for that information but the family was not from Ireland as far as I know,

Comment

Welcome to Family Tree Forum

Is there anyone specific you are looking for? Have you found any of them on the census records?

Comment

Robert jackson

mainly looking for Robert Jackson born c1820 in Brandon area - looking for any information particularly father and mother and any of their forebaesr.

Thanks

Comment

There is a Robert Jackson aged 20, a male servant in Brandon in 1841.

In 1851 he is an ag lab and aged 31 b and living in Brandon. Says he is married but he isn't with his wife.

In 1861 I can only find a Robert aged 45 with his wife and children, but am struggling to find the older children in 1851 to see if their father is not at home.

Do you have Robert's marriage cert?

Comment

The same Robert is back to 51 in 1871, so maybe the 1861 age was just a mistake!

Still can't find the older children in 1851.

Comment

Robert Jackson

I have this information:

42 Brandon Village St Oswald

Robert Jackson age 72 Rabbit catcher b Brandon
                Ann age 71 wife b Pelton Fen
                George age 34 Labourer b Brandon

They are not in 1901 census.

What I would like to know is when Robert was baptised/born so I can find his parents - I think his father may have been called Jacob and when did Ann die and get married.

Thanks Dave

Comment

You have to be really careful when dealing with commonplace names to get the right entry. So to get the correct marriage cert for Robert and Ann you would first need to get the birth cert for one of their children to discover Ann's maiden surname.

On the 1861 census they have twin daughters aged two months, so, if they were registered, it makes sense to get one of these births as there's little chance of accidentally paying for a certificate from another family!

The daus are Ann and Jane and these look like their registrations:

Births Mar 1861
                  Jackson Ann Durham 10a 247
                  Jackson Jane Durham 10a 247

Once you have one of these birth certs you hopefully will be able to get the right marriage cert which should supply you with Robert's father's name. I did see a Jacob in Brandon in 1841 and I wouldn't be surprised if he was Robert's father, but you will need Robert's marriage record to be sure.

Comment

This may be Ann's death:

Deaths Jun 1897
                    Jackson Ann 76 Durham 10a 197

Comment

and Robert's:

Deaths Jun 1894
                      Jackson Robert 74 Durham 10a 194

Comment

Jackson

I think I've found where Ann and 3 children were in 1851.

Ann 30
                        Jacob 5
                        Thomas 4
                        Robert 0

They were visiting a place called Windy Nook which is beside Heworth/Gateshead.

They were living with a family called Elliott and Ann is down as daughter/ visitor, this could be her maiden name?

Comment

In which case this is probably the marriage entry in the GRO index:

Marriages Jun 1845

Aldus Elizabeth South Shields 24 197
                          Arrowsmith George Shields S 24 197
                          Bell William Calder South Shields 24 197
                          Branton Susannah Sth Shields 24 197
                          Elliott Ann Shields S 24 197 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                          Graham Jane Shields S 24 197
                          Jackson Robert Sth Shields 24 197 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                          Lancaster George S Shields 24 197
                          Welden Mary Sunderland 24 197

But if it were my family I would still get a birth cert first!

Comment

Jackson

Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated.

I have a Jacob Jackson born around 1780 he was a tailor but the family were mainly miners. I went to the Durham Records Office and I think this was Robert's father according to a baptism I found but unfortunately I have lost the bit of paper I scribbled it on. You're only allowed to take paper inthere and it must have got mislaid.

Any ideas?

Thanks Dave

Comment

Watching this thread as I have Jacksons in Eston which was also minning but the latest I am back is 1815 with a Margaret there is none of your names so far except Thomas but not the right years and that was in her marriage to Grahams
                              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Luba View Post
                                Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated.

I have a Jacob Jackson born around 1780 he was a tailor but the family were mainly miners. I went to the Durham Records Office and I think this was Robert's father according to a baptism I found but unfortunately I have lost the bit of paper I scribbled it on. You're only allowed to take paper inthere and it must have got mislaid.

Any ideas?

Thanks Dave
                                That's the Jacob I saw on the 1841 census.

Any ideas?
                                Yeh, look harder for the bit of paper!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X