Help reading 1841 image please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading 1841 image please

Class: HO107; Piece 340; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Elmdon; County: Essex; Enumeration District: 12; Folio: 16; Page: 27; Line: 4; GSU roll: 241377.

Name Ovel, transcribed as Creel

Please can you see age of wife Sarah (transcribed as 23)

Thanks

it looks to me that it is def 3 something and i would go for 32. unusually it looks like this enumerator put the exact ages down.

perth

Comment

I think it's either 32 or 33.

Comment

Thanks for these suggestions, I was thinking that as James(snr) is shown as 50 and both James(jnr) and Mary as 15 (apparently rounded down to nearest 5 years) that Sarah's age would also be rounded to nearest 5 and therefore should read 35?

Cancel that, just looked again and agree 32 now, strangely it appears Ancestry have changed the ages to 5 year periods not the enumerator
        Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 12-04-09, 17:40.

Comment

May be I'm being pernickitty, but when posting questions about images it would help if the actual image was included in the thread. It's not difficult and makes it a lot easier for other FTFers to offer their ideas,

Comment

Originally posted by Dugless View Post
            May be I'm being pernickitty, but when posting questions about images it would help if the actual image was included in the thread. It's not difficult and makes it a lot easier for other FTFers to offer their ideas,
            That's OK as long as the image has been cropped to show just the part in question - we are not allowed to post the whole image as this breaches copyright restrictions.

The only problem with a part image is that if the handwriting is in question most people like to see the rest of the page or other pages in the district so would still need the reference. A good compromise would be a link to the image, which is OK if we are all using the same site to view images!! So......all compromises!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dugless View Post
              Thanks for the tip

Comment

as long as the reference is good, its a lot easier to look it up and compare the handwriting and other numbers on the page. of course it cuts out people who dont have access to the census images.

perth

Comment

Working...
                X