Images - Associated Programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images - Associated Programmes

While on the subject of Pictures I receive an email from a friend each week with an image in it that I cannot open.
    The icon on the attachment looks like MS Paint. When I click on it I am unable to get any options to open or save it. I do get a message that reads
    "The file does not have a programme associated with it for perfoming this action. Create an association in Settings Associations Control Panel"
    This is giving me a hot flush as I just do not know what it means or how to go about it.

A different thing but when I copy files to my external drive I often get a message for images received by email saying "Do you wish to copy these without the properties"

Is this the same thing?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Do you know what the file extension is for the pictures, Margaret? Assuming you're on XP, to create a file association, right click on the file and select "Open with," then "Choose program." Select a program from the list and then check the box to always use the program for that type of file.

No idea about the message, I'm afraid.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

lorry53,

I am using Vista. The file attached looks like MS Paint. When I click on it I just get the message above. It will not give me an option to open with or save.

It has occurred to me that it is an image that someone may have copied and is protected therefore has not got the full properties.

Anyway thanks for your interest.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
        lorry53,
        I am using Vista.
        Ah, I have no knowledge of Vista, but this might help.
        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

You click on the Start button and then Default Programs, but you would need to know the file type of the file you have been sent.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

what is the three characture extension on the file? (.bmp, .psd etc)

With that information we can easily tell you which programme will open it

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I have deleted the last three emails as I was so fed up with them. I am certain that they had the Paint image together with jpg.
              I have been able to open images from other people and I feel that the ones that I am unable to open are possibly poached for want of a better word. My friend never saves them to his HD as it is so small he just forwards them on and they have often come through a string of people.
              Thank you all so much for your time, I just wondered if it was a common problem but it is not worth loosing sleep over it.
              Margaret N

Comment

Working...
              X