Abney Park Cemetery, Victorian Londoners' burial place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abney Park Cemetery, Victorian Londoners' burial place

Having discovered that my ancestor Jonathan Hawes who died in Hoxton, London was buried here in 1864, we visited today having got a map of the rough area and the grave number and the other occupants of the grave found on this site:

Development Systems UK

We couldn't find the grave, though payment of £8 to
    Abney Park Trust: Welcome would have given a more accurate location. It's the sort of place your London ancestor with money would have been buried, every grave has a gravestone. It's heavily wooded now, many graves covered in ivy and there were some iffy characters hanging about so I was glad to have OH riding shotgun.

But on the up side :D there's now a photo in the Stoke Newington section of the London/Middx Places of Worship of the cemetery chapel where the funerals would have taken place

Middlesex Towns and Parishes S - Family Tree Forum

I found that my cousin's great-grandmother was buried there. She had been in an unmarked grave and my cousin discovered that many of these burials had been "relocated". So not everyone buried there had money. I believe that the cemetery became derelict after the cemetery company went bust some 20 years ago. The Trust appears to have a lot of catching up to do.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The first grave we saw as we went through an entrance in Stoke Newington Church Street was that of William & Catherine Booth, founders of the Salvation Army (and the Booth poverty map of London) - they would have been horrified at the drunks there.

Comment

Jill on the other side of Stoke Newington Church Street further west is 165, a shop now selling bikes and called Two Legs Good. It's almost opposite the library.

In 1917 it was a picture framer's, run my my grandparents and it was there that my father was born.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If I'd have known I'd have said hello for you! If I ever feel like stumping up the £8 we'll go back esp now I've found a bus goes directly there from London Bridge station. Took a few other pics for the POW project too.

Comment

The Abney Park Cemetery Chapel looks a lovely building Jill, what a shame it is derelict.

Comment

A lot of my Macks are buried there but I have never visited due to the fact that someone told me once about the dodgy characters hanging about. I cannot imagine that my Macks has much money so I doubt the graves would be marked anyway.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Jeannie

Comment

As a kid, my piano teacher was the chaplain there, he always wanted to give me a guided tour of the place, not my cup of tea at all, so I declined. Afterwards in my late teens I found that Grandma was burried there and could have done with a bit of help locating her plot! But, as a pauper her plot was only marked for a short period of time, 40 years I believe. (she died in 1925) So, although she is there in body, that's it! no idea where!
                Last edited by Sue at the seaside; 12-04-09, 14:01.
                Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

If I go again I'll put up a thread so I can take pictures for anyone who needs them.

Comment

Thank you for the link, found two of mine although one is an uncle, did pose question of why he was in a mental institution!
                    Teresa

Comment

Working...
                    X