1911 - number of children question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 - number of children question

If the couple were married before, would this number reflect all kids from current and past marriages, just from the current couple or is it just dependent on how the person decided to answer?

I was thinking of getting the 1911 original for my Hemmings lot in another attempt so prove the Wayman connection you see.
    Hail Spode!

Yes!!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The column headings refer (in bold) to the present marriage.

That doesn't mean that people always answered the question as-asked. There are often widows who list the children of the marriage - or fathers - and then it gets crossed out by the enumerator.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's supposed to be from that particular couple.

Comment

I have more 1911 census sheets with the wrong answer for that column than right!!

Comment

On one of mine they are filled in for husband & wife, but not the same numbers :D

The wife (my 3 x great grandmother) had been married twice before, had children by both husbands & an illigemate son. Her number of children don't match what i've found out (i've got more) so it seems they put what they wanted :(
            Jay

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's still worth the money though I reckon. Any number more than two in the column and I'll be happy.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

I've got all my direct line & think they were worth it.

Only one I was a bit disappointed with was for a set of 3 x great grandparents aged 81 & 80. They'd been married for 57 years but didn't put the number of children on :( I know of 6 including one that died but would of liked to know if there was more as they have a commonish surname.
                Jay

Comment

That's a shame Jay.
                  I was rather shocked to find my Grandfather was one of 10, but only 5 survived. There was a sister shown earlier who disappeared, but no idea about the rest!

Comment

Working...
                  X