Finding fathers name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding fathers name

I'm trying to find my GGGmothers father, Margaret McDonald married Patrick Foy abt 1864 in Ireland before coming across to the east lancashire area.

As I can't find any details on that I thought I could trace her fathers name via her sisters marriage certs.

In 1871 RG10/4134/126/14 Ellen & Sarah McDonald are staying with Patrick & Margaret Foy (misspelt Figh) after that they are not with the family again.

There are 2 possible marriages for Ellen in 1876 Patrick Glanen & William Pickup but I can't seem to follow these forward to see which is which so I can order a MC.

Likewise with Sarah, 2 possible marriages in 1875 Thomas Duddy & Edmund Lord, and 2 in 1882 John Till & James Hardcroft, likewise problems tracing forward.

Hopefully if I can find the right marriage and if they lived to 1911 I might get a better idea from whereabouts in Ireland they came from, the family get mixed up between Mayo and Galway.

Any help in tracing Sarah & Ellen appreciated

L

Is this likely to be Patrick & Ellen?

RG11/4128 fo 73 p 10 "Glannan"

I can see that the "Helen" (b Mayo) is a bit young, at 26, to be your "Ellen" - who should be 30... but her husband's younger (24), so she may have shaved off some years to minimise the age-gap?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'd be inclined to look using wildcards: "Glan*" for "Glanen", "Pat*" for "Patrick", "Wil*" for "William" and so on.

The problem with "Ellen" as a name is that the variations can mean that the first three letters are not the same: Eleanor, Nell, Helen, - not to mention the variant spellings of those names!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

From Lancs BMD

1876 Ellen McDonald married Patrick Glanen Hyndburn
        1875 Sarah McDonald married Thomas Duddy Hyndburn
        1882 Sarah McDonald married John Till Hyndburn
        PAT

Comment

Working...
        X