Internet speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet speed question

I'm on my brother's computer and it is SLOW.

I've uninstalled all the things he doesn't want. I took Nortons (out of date) and Trend (also out of date) virus scan off and installed AVG. I've scanned it.

All seems fine.

He has about 65GB free space on his hard drive out of 80GB.
    He has 224 MG RAM and processor is about 2. something GHtz??

I'm wondering if it's just the internet speed... he's on ADSL in a country area.

I've asked how to check it as a google search but there were a stack of sites that say they will check it. I'm not game to use them...

Is there a safe site I can use to see what the actual internet speed is????

Thanks.

PS.......He's on Windows XP and IE7

This is a good site to check your internet connecion speed.

Top 10 Broadband » Broadband Speed Test - Test Your Broadband Internet Speed

If you only have 224 meg of ram it's a wonder the PC runs at all, XP needs 256 meg ram just to run so I guess all the available memory is being usd by XP and there's not a lot left to run anything else.

Open Task Manager, hold down Ctrl & Alt and then press Del. all running programs and how much of the CPU's power they are using can be seen on the Processes tab.
    Best Wishes
    Ron
    www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Now I'll really show my stupidity....where do I find Task Manager?

Comment

Sorted.....

There are 42 Processes

Not sure what else I needed to check but the usage ranged from 0% to 5%.
        There was a Commit Charge Total 40138k, Limit 560308, Peak 470528.

Not sure if that makes any sense.

Comment

The Internet test site seems to be only for the UK... I'll have a look at Australia.

Comment

Found one with the company he has.

Download speed 223kbps, Upload Speed 54.4kbps.

Anyone know if that is OK???

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              Found one with the company he has.

Download speed 223kbps, Upload Speed 54.4kbps.

Anyone know if that is OK???
              Of course, it depends on the package he's on, but that's very slow for ADSL! I'd say he needs to upgrade his RAM, as previously suggested, and also contact his ISP. My download speed is 6.99Mbps and upload is 0.37Mbps. I have 512Mb of RAM.
              Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Try this one

Speed Test on ZDNet Australia
                Best Wishes
                Ron
                www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

I think the first reason for your slow computer is what you said below.
                  Your only supposed to have one virus scanner or this will slow your pc to a grinding halt

I've uninstalled all the things he doesn't want. I took Nortons (out of date) and Trend (also out of date) virus scan off and installed AVG. I've scanned it.

Comment

Download Norton Removal Tool 2009.0.5.26 - A program that can remove some Norton software from your computer - Softpedia

try using the norton removal tool as you may think its all gone but often isnt

Comment

Working...
                    X