Royal Marines about 1870 - 1880

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Marines about 1870 - 1880

I've just found out that OH's G grandfather was a private in the Royal Marines, according to the 1881 census. I can't find him in 1871 and his wife is living with her mother & her siblings, so I'm assuming he must be at sea.

I often wondered why, when he and his wife were both born & died in Tiverton, Devon, that his daughter (OH's grandmother) was born in Gosport, Hampshire. Now I know!

Is there anywhere I can check his Royal Marine records?

He was an Ag servant in 1861 in Tiverton, got married in 1869 in Tiverton, missing in 1871, living in Gosport, Hants with wife & 2 daughters aged 1 year & 1 month & a private in the Royal Marines in 1881, back in Tiverton and a grocer in 1891 (having had 2 children in Birmingham in 1884 & 1886),and an Insurance Agent in 1901 in Tiverton, where he died in 1905.

Not bad for someone who was supposed to have been the landlord of the Rose & Crown pub in Tiverton "for years" according to family legend!

I know I need to get his marriage certificate and that hopefully will show him as a Royal Marine.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

There should be records at TNA and some of it is searchable online. There is a research guide here

Detecting your browser settings
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Sue,
      I just popped the name of my marine in the general searchbox at the national archives and got one hit straight away - the date of his discharge, after serving his full time. (He joined in 1858, at the age of 20.) It also told me that the year before his discharge, he was transferred to Portsmouth.

Not downloadable, but useful information.

Think it helped that he had an unusual forename though - Brewer Atkinson!

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you Jackie and Jay.

I'll try that in the morning. My eyes are just seeing spots before the screen pages at the moment - I think I need to go to bed ;)

You were lucky with that unusual name Jay, mine is slightly more common - Henry Gibbs
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
        X